• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 As the World turns -TR6 steering column bushings

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am trying to replace the two steering column bushings in my TR6. I drilled out the four rubber nipples that appear to position and hold them into the steering column tube, but they don't seem to budge when I try to pound them out with a dowel. I am worried about doing damage before I go any further. Anyone done this before that can give me some tips on how to do this? Also, how do I get the new ones in?
Thanks,
Kevin

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Re: As the World turns -TR6 steering column bushin

I just finished this. To remove the first one i used a large toggle bolt on a threaded rod (standard hardware store 1/4" x 3') long enough to go through the steering tube, with washers on the outside end for a stop and a turning nut. Be careful the toggle doesn't catch on the soft aluminum tube. The second I removed with the threaded rod and a washer just the right size inside the tube, again pulling it out with the nut on the large washers. Putting them back in with the rod, washers and turning nut worked well.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag

Thanks for both replies. Your article is helpful, Paul, in that it also covers other steering repairs I am going to do shortly. I have a 69, and the bushings for mine look different from the article. The bushings for my car have two nipples each that hold it in the steering column tube. I have already pulled my entire steering column, so I think I am going to use the threaded rod that was suggested. Thanks again.
Kevin

BobbyD

Jedi Knight

Kevin,
The idea behind the bushings that Paul directed you to on my site https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/SteeringColumn.htm are installed OVER the old bushings. There's no need to remove the old bushings and they don't look like the stock bushings. These are made from Delrin which will "never" wear out. Art Lipp makes them and the need came from his auto-cross experience. The Auto-x guys wanted something simple, solid and reliable and these were the answer.

When you have the rubber coupling at the lower end of the column off, make sure you check to see if it's split. Chances are it will look like this and you'll need to replace it.
CrackedCoupling.jpg

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

I like the bushings you added Bob, but Art may not be selling them as a kit anymore. I contacted him about a month ago, he said he was not selling them separately because he had some installation complaints from customers. I may have caught him on a bad day - hope so as I think a big value of those bushings is that you don't need to remove the column.

Randy

BobbyD

Jedi Knight

TR4nut said:
I like the bushings you added Bob, but Art may not be selling them as a kit anymore. I contacted him about a month ago, he said he was not selling them separately because he had some installation complaints from customers. I may have caught him on a bad day - hope so as I think a big value of those bushings is that you don't need to remove the column.

Randy

That's interesting. Maybe there's some variance in size among our steering columns that's causing a problem. I'll have to drop him an email to see what's going on.