• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What have I found?

Darcy

Yesterday I spotted an interesting car in a parking lot, beside my mom's... I didn't get a good look at it then, but I came back today, and in the cover of a rain shower, I peaked around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I didn't look at it for too long, because I didn't want people to see me, and get worried... But I took a few glimpses. The dash has been ripped out, and the steering column is a mess... No license plates either

So, hopefully from memory, I can try and explain to you guys what I saw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I even made some pictures in MS Paint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The thing that first caught my eye was the exhaust tips... There are two of them, but they're on top of each other. I've never seen that before. Maybe they're aftermarket, but hopefully it'll help solve the mystery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Exhaust.JPG

I also spotted something that looks like a 4-leaf clover... I don't think it was a sticker... Looked pretty real to me
Clover.JPG

And then there's the strange front end... Let me try and explain it...
-2 headlights on each side
-2 pieces of mesh(that's what it looked like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) on the inside of each of the pairs of headlights... There was space in between the mesh I believe... They weren't connected
-And finally, each piece of mesh has a triangular piece of metal attached... I can't really explain it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I don't remember if they were horizontal, or vertical /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif
Front.JPG

Any ideas?

Almost forgot... It's a 2 dr.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hmmmm, seems to me that you may have an Alfa there. Alfa Romeo use clover leaf motifs on their cars, and from your description, it would appear that the central part of the front grille may be missing. Exactly which model it may be is open to speculation, although I have my suspicions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A

aerog

Hmm they do? Alfa Romeo uses a round emblem with a St.George's cross on the left and a green snake or serpent on the right side.

A

aerog

Oops... Just found out their racing teams use the clover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

OP
D

Darcy

An Alfa!! Duh!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

I did a quick skim through eBay before I asked my question... But I didn't see anything... Now that I look again, I find a GTV that looks JUST like the mystery car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

93_12_s.JPG

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=5356&item=2480105723&rd=1

A very familiar sight!

Now... Is it worth looking into? I've been thinking about the condition of it tonight, and it may of been stolen, and taken apart... It may of been auctioned off...

I was wondering what circular object was missing on the trunk lid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
24_12_s.JPG

What's the next step? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I may get it for fairly cheap... No one wants a car that's been the target of thieves eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is it worth restoring though? I could always use another cruiser... But then again, the journey to a rally car has already begun.

What do you all think? If you want, I could try and sneak some spy shots /w the digi cam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

TR7/8 TPI

Jedi Hopeful
Almost NO car is worth restoring, unless it has some importance to the person restoring it. If you mean to do a true restoration, then ofcourse, it won't be financially worth restoring as most restorations cost 3 times what the car will be worth when it's finished.

If you like the car then, by all means, restore it but be prepared to lose money on it.

All I'm saying is to not listen to public opinion on the value or imporatance of any car. If you like it, restore it.

OP
D

Darcy

[ QUOTE ]
All I'm saying is to not listen to public opinion on the value or imporatance of any car. If you like it, restore it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I do like it, though I don't want to spend too too much restoring it... I'm wondering how rare GTV parts are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Then there's the part where I have to find the owner...

Eric

Jedi Warrior
That era GTV was one of the prettiest coupes ever built, IMO. However, unless the body is pristine, it is unlikely to be worth restoring. Trim parts are hard to find, and all Alfas of that era came with factory installed rust. If you think LBCs rust, you ain't seen nuttin.........

If you're interested in them, they're not uncommon. Buy the very best one you can find, especially for the body and trim. Lots of mechanical bits for them, although some of the Spica mechanical injection parts are hard to find, but the interior and trim will bankrupt you.

OP
D

Darcy

[ QUOTE ]
That era GTV was one of the prettiest coupes ever built, IMO. However, unless the body is pristine, it is unlikely to be worth restoring. Trim parts are hard to find, and all Alfas of that era came with factory installed rust. If you think LBCs rust, you ain't seen nuttin.........

If you're interested in them, they're not uncommon. Buy the very best one you can find, especially for the body and trim. Lots of mechanical bits for them, although some of the Spica mechanical injection parts are hard to find, but the interior and trim will bankrupt you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it doesn't help that I'm in the rust belt, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

Went by it again today, and I'm liking it the more I look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Though I guess I should pass... It probably has a few pounds of putty on it, and I'm already poor for the next three months.

But she'd go for cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Darcy said:
I guess it doesn't help that I'm in the rust belt, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

Went by it again today, and I'm liking it the more I look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Though I guess I should pass... It probably has a few pounds of putty on it, and I'm already poor for the next three months.

But she'd go for cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What rust belt? People go into Manitoba to buy old cars! Manitoba is known as one of the best places on the continent to pick up solid old cars that have hardly any rust. Now I know that's not always going to be the case with every car there, but the majority of cars from there are excellent compared to cars on the east side of our continent.

As for point #2... You'll have to learn the art of saying "no" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif, it's not easy for someone new to the hobby to do, I've been there and I'm still there often /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif, as much as you'd like to you can't save every car. My shopping list of cars I'd love to buy (that I know are for sale) is endless, unfortunately my wallet isn't helping me much lately... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif But I still love finding old cars anyway, at least I've got my camera to take a picture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

OP
D

Darcy

[ QUOTE ]
What rust belt? People go into Manitoba to buy old cars! Manitoba is known as one of the best places on the continent to pick up solid old cars that have hardly any rust. Now I know that's not always going to be the case with every car there, but the majority of cars from there are excellent compared to cars on the east side of our continent.

As for point #2... You'll have to learn the art of saying "no" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif, it's not easy for someone new to the hobby to do, I've been there and I'm still there often /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif, as much as you'd like to you can't save every car. My shopping list of cars I'd love to buy (that I know are for sale) is endless, unfortunately my wallet isn't helping me much lately... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif But I still love finding old cars anyway, at least I've got my camera to take a picture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the cars that have no rust have been hiding in garages and barns for the past 20 years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I don't think I'll be getting it... I need a truck to haul around my goodies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif