• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Under the Knife

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Well, LBC Fans...

I have finally put the '66 B under the knife...

After driving my A in the 4th of July Parade with my wife, she has decided that SHE wants the B...

Not to let the moment pass ... Saturday and Sunday were used up pulling the engine -- WITH HER HELP!?!?!? and tearing the engine down....

Off to the machine shop only to get bad and good news....

burnt valve... valve job required...
Block (18GB) is cracked... bought another one from a friend in the club -- soon to be bored...
buy new pistons and rings...
Cam is lobe-less.. new one to be bought....
lifters shot...
clutch, pressure plate, and bearing gone...
spigot bearing crumbled in my hand and just so much thin metal....
oil pump gone...
water pump shot...
Studs shot and to be replaced...
rocker assembly shaft and bushings shot...
ad nauseum..

Now where was the good news...

Valve seats good...
Crank not cracked and millable to .020...
tranny is great shape...
Radiator flushed and in good shape...

Other than that ... so much for the new interior for my MGA :wall:

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
tdskip,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]At least it is better than discovering lots of rust... [/QUOTE]

That I have already found.. but not as bad as I thought it might be.. :smirk:

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
Wow Ron - already moving ahead with the second restoration while I still look at the pile of parts in my garage that will one day be an A..... Why dont you come over to my place next time you get an urge to restore, it will be a lot less expensive! :devilgrin: :devilgrin:

Not sure if I will have the Midget back together for the Ball Bearing Breaker on Saturday but should be at the British Invasion the following week.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Simon!!

Great to hear from you... Yep.. started another before my first is finished.. nuts... So much for the interior in the A for a while...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]it will be a lot less expensive! [/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth... Using SEM (Someone Else's Money) . I did that with my business partner's Healey... <span style="font-weight: bold">great fun</span>...

Sooo how much you got? :devilgrin:

I will be going on the Ball Bearing Breaker in my A on Saturday... And the British Invasion next Friday..Look me up. By the way... I have been told that a few of the American Iron clubs are boycotting in protest?!?!?! :rolleyes:

And, finally, yes I need to stop by... Sorry...

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
If you guys ever need an extra pair of hands let me know - I'm just up on OC and wuld love to help/watch a rebuild happen.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And just what would they be protesting?

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Jack,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]And just what would they be protesting? [/QUOTE]

Historically the meet has been only American iron and some of the club members have taken exception to our participation...

Little realizing that our cars actually symbolize the efforts of American citizens to help one of our staunchest allies recover from the damage inflicted on them during WWII....

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
tdskip....

Watch what you wish for....It may come true... :devilgrin:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Guess they will just have to tough it out.

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
Reminds me of the letters in Hemmings protesting too many articles on 'fruity furrin cars'.

Tell them to get over it. There's more to life than a small block Chevy.

Colin

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
tdskip,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Bring it... [/QUOTE]

I will give you a heads up when I will be replacing the tranny in my A...

I will be putting my B engine back together and back in the car next Saturday if you are interested....Let me know

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
Ron,

let me know as well when you are working on the A - would like to lean as much as I can on OPCs (other people's cars) before I really start in on mine.

We will not be at this Ball Bearing Breaker but will make crusing Grand. We go there a lot and have noticed that the numbers of cars have been declining this year so It seems strange that there would be boycots because of a few British Cars.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Simon,

Since the tranny swap has been put off for a while...

The only project in the near future on the A will be replacing the front timing chain cover with one from a B.... Probably next weekend.

Not an exciting project but a necessary one.... As you know the original A front cover has a felt ring for a seal that mearly watches the oil go out the front rather than actually stopping it...

I will be re-assembling the B engine and re-installing it next weekend also... You are welcome to come by...

TDSKIP... I will PM you my contact info if you are interested in driving down..

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Just a quick update....

I did not mention that the block was cracked....

I got a replacement one from a friend in the club...

Original bore but with rust I needed to bore to .040.

I received the parts for the engine from Moss... short a couple -- Backordered--

I took the requisite parts to the machine shop with the happy news that they will be finished with it by Friday....

The shorted parts include a new Rocker shaft and the 6" head studs... SOOOOO

I will be able to get most of the engine done, new clutch, P/P and bearing, Spigot, mate it with the tranny, and re-install in the car. I will be installing the head and rocker assembly next week once the new parts arrive...

IF this goes as planned, should get it started next week..

By the way.. Anyone have a '66 MGB vintage WT/OP gauge that they don't need and will part with it for CHEAP???? The ol' checkbook is a bit strained... If not, I am going to pull the gauge out of my A and use it on the B--- temporarily....

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's a LOT of involved work, Ron. Have you seen the "rebuild your ether bulb temp gauge" articles? May be worth a look.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Hey Doc, Nice to see you....

Thanks for the advice...

The DPO had cut the bulb off the cable and rendered the WT part of the gauge useless....

Ah well.. I think we have all been DPOs, although not willing to admit it.. :smirk:

I will say, though, that when I am finished with the engine/tranny... The car is going to run sweet, albeit still looking the worse for wear.... That problem is next in the queue... :rolleyes:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag