• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Exhaust Leak at Manifold??

_Inwind_

Freshman Member
I have a 1974 Mini. It has a Exhaust leak around the manifold tail pipe connection. I have tried using liquid muffler repair stuff, I let it harden over night. It seems to last a few days. Any suggestions on how to get this joint to quit leaking would be great!!

OP
I

_Inwind_

Freshman Member
I have not tried that one. I have tried sevral others of that type. I will get some and see how it does.
Have you tried it?
I was thinking some kind of fabric would work but have been unable to find any.

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
No, I've not personally tried it, but every other Permatex product I've used has worked well.

I've seen what looks like fibreglass tape wrapped around various "long center branch" manifolds on some Minis, but I don't know where you'd get it....or how well it would seal. I'd try NAPA or some other large Auto store.

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Make sure the exhaust system is secure. That joint gets a lot of flexing, because the engine rocks back and forth. Also double check the engine mounts. If they are "iffy" replace them and you'll have less exhaust problems. As a last resort; purchase an LCB exhaust header and that joint will be eliminated. (It'll just wiggle and leak down under the car, but the LCB looks cool.)

OP
I

_Inwind_

Freshman Member
I was wondering if there is any fabric that would be flexible? Or can you change the lower pipe mount to some kind of flexible mount instead of a firm one?? may be the whole system allowed to move as the motor does move a lot?
Any Ideas?? Thanks Randy

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
I've never seen a flexable solution to the exhaust problem on a Mini, but that is the exact solution the factory offered for the Big Healey. There is an 18" length of flexable exhust tubing in the Healey's system. I presume it is to allow the engine to move while the remainder of the system does not. You'd have to fabricate you own, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
If your enging is moving so much that's pulling your exhaust pipes loose, you'd better check that your engine steady is tight. If it is, consider adding a secondary engine steady.

I don't think that flexible piping is a good solution. My '59 Morgan +4 had about a 24" section of it as a header pipe (this was the factory solution for matching the TR3 engine to the Morgan chassis), and it usually didn't last very long.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if there is any fabric that would be flexible? Or can you change the lower pipe mount to some kind of flexible mount instead of a firm one?? may be the whole system allowed to move as the motor does move a lot?
Any Ideas?? Thanks Randy

[/ QUOTE ]
Ideally, the whole exhaust system should be mounted on flexible hangers so that it can move with the engine separately from the body. Many, if not most cars, were originally done this way. Of course nothing will completely compensate for extremely worn or soft motor mounts, that let the engine flop from side to side under torque.

There also IS a remarkably well built flexible section available. It looks like a braided stainless steel outside with weld flanges on the ends. Not exactly stock looking but far better than the original flex pipes. I could send you an email pic, but most exhaust shops should have it.
D

OP
I

_Inwind_

Freshman Member
Thanks for all your ideas!! I will try them one at a time and see if I can come up with a combantion that will work.

Again Thank you!!!