• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wagner's Silicone Valve Cover Gasket

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
So it was raining again this morning so I headed out to the garage. This project needs a 24 hour setup so today's the day.

This is a top quality part and a first class installation kit and instructions. If anything isn't clear in Justin's pictures, I've got it covered.

Silicone Valve Cover Gasket Installation

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I need one of these for my TR3. I just poured oil into the car getting ready for the engine's fire up for the first time in about 15 years. Wouldn't ya know it, the valve cover leaked out the back when I poured in the oil. And I thought I was so careful putting in that cork gasket. :wall:

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Justin is hard to get a hold of at times due to his traveling. Keep emailing him and he will get back to you.

T

Tinster

Paul,

Can this gasket be used over again when the valve
cover is pulled off? Or must it be replaced like cork?

thanks,
d

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Justin's gaskets can be reused indefinitely. The earlier ones needed to be cool to be installed, but I understand he's change the formula slightly to reduce that problem.

For the cork gasket, the trick is to glue it to the rocker cover using something like RTV or Permatex #3 that sets up hard and holds it in place. That ensures it stays in the right place while you torque the rocker cover nuts to the recommended value of "just barely".

Note that Justin's gasket requires even less torque than the stock cork gasket. Overtorquing either gasket will cause damage and leaks.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Justin's is a top quality item. I put one on my TR4 about a year ago and it works great. I did notice that when I pulled the cover to adjust the valves the gasket was a little tough to put back due to expansion, but it was likely due to it being on a warm engine.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
He does state that it is best to remove and reinstall when the engine is cooled down.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Great info Paul. I plan on using one of his gaskets on my 3. The fact that you can reuse it is a big appeal because I just know that I will probably be in and out of there several times. Murphy's law and all that.

Tinkerman

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
What the racers do for trackside repairs/adjustments is toss the gasket in the ice chest while doing the work. That cools it down so it fits on reassembly.

If you glue the cork to the cover, and then use Hylomar between the cork & head; you can reuse it many times. Mine lasted probably 10 years of annual valve adjustments and was still going. Gently clean the old Hylomar with solvent and apply a fresh coat each time.

But Justin's gasket is clearly superior; I heartily recommend it over the cork. Justin also supplies these neat washers with sealing rings inside the hole, that solve the problem of leaks at the washer. The stock fiber washers never quite sealed for me.