• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The 'Newbie' says "Hi"

BACLVBob

As Basil warned me not to be a lurker I thought I would introduce myself. I am a Brit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif married to a CA gal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif and live in LV, NV. We have 3 cats, mortgage, a car club (BACLV.com) and 3 British cars. Currently we have a 1967 Austin Healey BJ8 - 1976 Jensen Interceptor III and a 1977 MG Midget - All are used on a regular basis and consequently make frequent demands on my wallet. I was born with grease under my finger nails and when the temperature is below 100F I still enjoy 'tinkering' out in the garage as there is always somthing to do. I have worked on most makes and models of cars while in the UK - but by no means do I consider myself the Oracle for all things British, however if I can help any time, please feel free to drop me a line, the least I can do is sympathise with you!

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome Bob...I'm sure your input will be of service to this congregation...

As an aside...when do you drive your LBC's in the Vegas heat? Late at night?...during the day?...with the top down you'd melt...especially in the warmth of your Healey...

Anyway...welcome... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
B

BACLVBob

The cockpit temperature of the Healey remains constant - ie equivalent to the HI setting on your Microwave - it has a 6 blade fan, oil cooler and lots of oil additive to keep things 'lubed' - even so, mid-day driving in summer is not recomended. The Jensen is just getting its a/c fixed, this will be it's 1st summer here as we collected it from MN last year so it will be interesting to see if it copes with 120F air temp. As for the Midget - who cares.... whoops - it's the wifes toy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome Bob! Nice collection. I too "grew up with grease under my fingernails" (my Dad worked for London Transit when we lived in Blighty).
Tell me, as a Brit living in Nevada, do you miss the rain? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
B

BACLVBob

I miss the rain so much I run outside onto the grass in my boxers everytime the sprinklers come on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF! Nice collection of cars you have there. Like you, I enjoy turning wrenches, but for me the temperature has to be above -100F.......I would honestly love to have the problem of higher temperatures for longer than the two or three weeks that we sometimes get here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want a little rain I can arrange to have some shipped to you......we have more than enough right now, and usually get our fair share of it at the best of times. As a fellow Brit, I can tell you, I would not miss the rain one tiny little bit!!

OP
B

BACLVBob

After 40+ yrs of UK Weather, I am gradually drying out here in the desert. Speaking of which - a point of note for anyone buying a car from a 'damp' state. I noticed several weeks after the Jensen was subjected to higher, dryer temperatures, any water trapped under the paint, blistered and bubbled up. So a good looking paint job 'up North' wont always be as good once the heat gets to it!

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Welcome! Nice set of cars. The Interceptor has always been one of my favorites but is sadly well beyond my means right now.

OP
B

BACLVBob

Hi - what a friendly group! I could never afford to run a Jensen in the UK because of the price of gas.... here in LV they are trying to give me the same problem! As my neibour said to me - "Oh, thats the engine that thinks gas is free"! Chrysler 440 - 7000cc - 380 (ish) hp

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Yes you guy's must be over 2 bucks a gallon by now.. Welcome to the club, and send a little of that sun shine up here to Canada if it gets too much for you.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

OP
B

BACLVBob

Yup - over $2.40 a gallon for 'Premium' which is still rated 50 RON below what the engine was designed for! Such a bargain! Check for your email for some NV sunshine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/computer.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Welcome aboard Bob. Nice bunch of cars you have there. Beutiful BJ8 you have I am envious thats what my spitfire wants to be someday when it grows up.

OP
B

BACLVBob

Cheers Walter, the purchase of the Healey was purley by chance. One day I'll bore the pants of you guys and tell you the story, but it's a car I have wanted to own since I first saw one when I was 9yrs old. Now this one is part of the family and although we have had some rediculous offers for it, it's going to stay in the family. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
As Basil warned me not to be a lurker I thought I would introduce myself. I am a Brit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif married to a CA gal ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to our humble forum! Glad you decided not to be a lurker! Hope you will be a regular - I think you'll find we have a pretty good bunch of regulars here! Cheers,

Basil

OP
B

BACLVBob

Thanks Basil, FYI I have 'borrowed' your web page header jpg and included it on our club website www.BACLV.com (hope I did'nt infringe any copyright laws!!!) - I also host my own web server, so if you run short of space or bandwidth let me know and we can help out. - Great job on the site and the new features you have planned should be very interesting.