• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Positioning Electric Fan

elysium

I am finally in the process of putting things back together in my 74 TR6 that has been apart since February. Had installed the 14" Moss electric fan as a pusher and it seemed to work fairly well albeit in January in N.E.. Having read many threads touting the benefits of unit as puller set-up I am trying to turn it around with the new radiator (stock TRF) and shroud I am putting in now. As a puller it hits high low or in the middle. Mounted low it will hit the rack and pinion mechanism. Mid height it will hit the cross brace or if I lean the radiator forward the hoses and brace/strut will not fit. If I mount up high by brazing a bracket to the tank a significant portion of the fan will be blocked by solid metal. Please tell me what I am missing here! BTW I do have the Fan Eliminator kit in place.
Thanks,
Elysium

RomanH

Jedi Knight
Not just any electric fan can be mounted in the pull configuration on a 6. You need to get the thinnest profile available. I run a 16" Spal fan and so do a couple of other forum members. The Spal is about the thinnest there is and even then you need to move the radiator forward a touch to clear the cross brace.
There are other brands that will work and I'm sure someone will chime in with that information.
If you want to stay with the 14" Moss fan then you will most likely need to leave it as a pusher.

tom628

Is the Moss fan designed to be used as a puller on a TR6? You need a very shallow profile unit to fit between the radiator and the cross brace, as you can see.
I recently installed a 16" Permacool fan as a puller,and had to drill additional holes in the radiator mounting brackets to move the radiator forward in order for the fan to just barely clear the cross brace.
If it's not shallow enuf, you may not be able to do it.
Good luck.

Tom

G

Go to the Spal website, spalusa.com, and they have complete tech drawings of all their fans, with very exact dimensions of each one. I used the middle-sized heavy duty fan, 16", and had to slightly tilt the bottom of my aluminum radiator (built to exact stock specs) 3/8" forward by redrilling the mounting bracket. They have a low-profile model that might mount without drilling. Spal fans are by far the best quality that I have found, having tried 3 other brands in the past.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ditto what the others are saying about the fan size. I've had a 16" Perma-cool for two years and it's performed flawlessly. If you do end up getting a new fan, I would opt for a 16" unit.

-s

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Elysium,

16" puller is the only way to go with that new engine and Spal is a great fan. I don't know about the Perma-Coll, but if Shannon says they're a good fan, that's good enough for me.

Make sure that you get a relay kit and wire in an override switch with a light.

swift6

Yoda
I'm using a 16" perma-cool as well. Low profile unit, fits between the four row radiator in the stock position and the crossbrace. Moves 2900cfm of air.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:iagree: :iagree: ME TOO

I have also Tilted my Radiator a little forward.

You don't need to, I just did anyway

OP
E

elysium

Thanks for all the input. I had bought the biggest fan Moss had last fall not knowing of the bigger Spal unit or the size restrictions that would come into play. I may experiment with the 14 in the shroud with a manual switch to see how it does,but at the first bit of warm operation it is out of there.
Again,thanks to all for the great feedback.
Elysium

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I do have a little room in there. Not much, but a little.

Attachments

• 12021.jpg
    12021.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 188

Trick6

Jedi Hopeful
I have the Perma Cool 16" fan pulling also. It fits just fine without moving the radiator. You do have to locate the fan so that the deepest point of the motor is just below the cross member. The fan covers the radiator very well and as the others have pointed out, operates flawlessly. It also pulls a lot of air. You drill small holes in the radiator frame for self tapping metal fasteners to mount the fan. Very cool. You don't want little kids and small dogs crossing the street in front of you when this fan kicks in. WOOSH. You will have to scrape them off the grill.

G

The difference Paul between mine and yours is you have factory brackets welded to your frame, which causes a wee bit of room sacrifice. I have my fan mounted onto the fins of the radiator and have brackets over them, sorta reverse of yours. This gives me about an extra quarter inch.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Yes, Bill, I can see how it would. These are very close to the radiator core, but there is a tiny gap in between, probably closer to 1/8" with the flat head bolt that comes through the bracket.