• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rewiring questions

V

vagt6

I'll be rewiring my '70 GT6+ soon and invite those of you who've completely rewired a Spit or GT6 (or any other Lucas-based LBC) to offer their advice, suggestions and observations on this exercise.

First, where might we find a nice, colored wiring diagram for a Spit of GT6 of this vintage?

I'll do the job after the car is painted with the interior stripped.

For instance, any special tools or accessories needed? Any unusual or problem areas to anticipate? Should I replace all the relays? Would you change from the bullet and spade-type connectors to more modern connectors? Etc., etc.

Any and all input will be appreciated. It's my first rewiring job and I need all the help I can get!

BTW, all skilled an semi-skilled (and maybe unskilled) Lucas technicians will be provided unlimited beer and eats for dropping by my garage and helping on this project!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Mark,

I have rewired my MG and am currently rewiring my TR3. These cars have a simple wiring harness compared to more "modern" Triumphs. I have used British Wiring Inc. (www.britishwiring.com) to get parts and tools. I am still using bullet connectors and they can provide the connectors and a tool to install them. The pricey ($50) but excellent rachetting crimping tool makes installation a breeze. They have hareness and sub harnesses for a '70 GT6.

I have found that it is easiest to install, as you planned, with the interior stripped. Usually the biggest bundle of wires is under the dash. Review the new harness and match it to the installed one to work out a plan so you feed the wires through various body opennings. I remove part of the harness and then install the new in that area. The harnesses I have used come with the original type connections attached. Save your old harness to scavenge correct coded wire if you need to made any pigtails or rewire prior owner after market accessories.

I can't help you with a wiring diagram. After you find one, mark it up with any modification you make. This will be help to you or future owners the next time electrical repairs are made.

It's not a difficult job, but a methodical approach is needed. Good luck.

Safety Fast,
Dave

VitSport6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi.
I asked this question myself, and got the same replies, I went with British wiring It cost me around $300.00 for a full harness, bullit connectors and dual headlight wire kit, They shiped mine out to GB to have it matched and all, Came back looking "smashing" I know they would have the GT6 kit, It may even be cheaper...But?!? I called and talked to a very nice lady by the name of Lesley, Depending on when you get your there will depend on when you will get it back, It took about a month and a half all in all.
Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

BRIAN TOWNE

Hi Mark I too did a rewire on my TR2 and as Dave indicated, probably about half the wires as a GT6. Are you doing a full rewire? Are you planning to buy a coomplete harness? When I did mine, I ordered a complete harness from TRF. It came with all the correct conectors and the correct colors. Very easy to install. As Dave indicated, there are probably several sources. And dito on saving as much of the old one in tact for reference. Good luck!

OP
G

Ditto on British Wiring. BTW, they make up all their own harnesses there, all with the correct colour codes and correct number and diameter of braids (there is a difference between UK and US wires). Stick with the bullet connectors as others have said above. There really is nothing wrong with Lucas-style wiring. As stated, Lesley is a really nice gal (she and hubby own BW) and is quite helpful. That bullet-connecter crimper is cool. I crimp and solder for better connections and ease of pulling apart.
The harnesses from TRF all come from BW, they won't tell you that. I rewired my TR6 and had no trouble, did it in a weekend. With every thing in place in the car. Helped to remove the seat so I could lay on my back with a light.

Bill

OP
V

vagt6

Thanks very much, everyone, for the excellent advice. I'm somewhat intimidated by this task, but virtually everyone I ask seems to say the same thing: get the project organized and just do it.

So, thanks for the confidence building! I'll get to it in about 2-3 weeks, depending on when my body shop guy paints it.

Cheers, have a great summer driving season!

Bill Redd

Jedi Hopeful
Great thread, as I'm probably several months behind you on my TR6. I'm ready to strip out the interior, but the weather out here is just perfect for driving...can't bear to do it yet!

2campdogs

I just bought a new harness for my 70GT6 and it came with new type bulb connectors(spade) and wires for seatbelt buzzer and other things my car did not have, so ask questions. Also, I finally took my car to a mech to rebuild brake calipers and the lights came on by themselves. Hence a short, the main ground was not hooked up and it melted a bunch of wires in my harness. The mech replaced the wires and put in a modern fuss box. I had a similar problem with the front wiring, hood was not properly ground. Make sure your helpers have Lucas experience before letting them help. Unfortunately my helper only knew what worked on chevy's and it cost me $400 in fees to rewire and fix shorts. Good luck

OP
V

vagt6

I'm doing a total rewire. The Triumph Dealer's shop manual indicates total labor involved in this job at 10 hours. That's what my Triumph tech guy, Joe Hash of Joe Hash's Triumph, Ltd., charges for all repair work. He goes by the Dealer's manual, just like a new car dealer would.

So if a professional Triumph mechanic can do it in 10 hours, I figure it will take me about 5 years or so. And since I currently have not turn signals or headlights, I'm heavily motivated.

Again, thanks for all the excellent advice, and keep it coming. Anyone else have input?

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
My best pointer to someone who has never done it before is to cut off the old harness short of the gages, so a bit of the correct wire is still on each gage. Only remove this when putting the new wire in place. Do each one at a time and the hard part is now easy. Of course the diagram should be consulted, since the last guy could have mucked it up....
MD(maddog)

OP
V

vagt6

Thanks, MD, good advice. Sadly, a series of DPOs have significantly mucked up the wiring under the dash so badly that practically NONE of the original wiring is there.

I'm still looking for a good wiring diagram, hopefully one I can have blown up to about 3'X3' size to gaze upon while I slave over the new wiring job. Ideally, I'd like to get one in color.

I now understand that diagrams from a Spit or GT6 will do the job. But, does anyone out there know where I can obtain a wiring diagram that is correct and specific to a '70 GT6+?

Thanks again for all the input, every reply has been helpful!