• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cleaning the engine for paint

kawazar

Country flag
Now that I have my engine pulled, any suggestions on how I could clean the engine before I paint it? I am just freshening up the engine. Not a rebuild so a hot tank is out of the question. I have pressure washed it but still need to remove whatever grease and oil I can. I was thinking Acetone but don't want to ruin any seals or gaskets.

NW_SpriteGuy

Rob,
A couple products that have worked well for me are "Pre" available through Eastwood. The other is "RM 900 Pre-Kleano" available through Industrial finishes. Both of these products work very well at removing dirt, wax, polish, grease, silicon, road tar, etc. and are used extensively as a metal "pre prep" prior to painting (no painter wants a client coming back to them complaining about the paint job they just paid $$$ for is discoloring and/or lifting due to a bit of silicon or grease left on the metal prior to painting). Make sure you follow the directions closely when using these products however, because they are very potent... You need to make sure you have adequate ventilation and proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)such as gloves, goggles, face mask, etc.- whatever the directions call for. Have lots of clean rags available because you'll want to continually refresh with a new clean rag after a couple wipes so you don't end up just moving the crud over to another place on your engine. I use a plastic spray bottle to spray the stuff on and then I start wiping. BTW, Acetone doesn't come close to holding up against either one of these products.

** I'm also interested in hearing what other people use for this application - so let's hear from you.

-Don

bang bang

Freshman Member
For all the engines and transmissions Ive built in my garage at home Ive all ways found a can of brake clean, a wire brush and a bundle of clean rags and a lot of elbow grease does a good job of getting things clean and ready for painting

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Try using Simple Green...it's a degreaser...and really works well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

NW_SpriteGuy

I've heard quite a few people use simple green with good results. I think it's also evironmentally safe & friendly, isn't it? Where can one buy it? - Home Depot?

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It is environmentally safe...almost everyone carries it...Target...and car stores...and it's great!