• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Convertible top

BJones

I am finally taking the plunge to getting a top for my TR6. Are there any recommendations of which top to get? I have looked at all the places I can think of and have searched the last 3 years here on the forum. I am interested in an inexpensive top to be used only when caught in the rain. I have checked out BPNW, VB, MOSS, TRF, LBCARCO, convertibletopguys.com, and ebay. The main thing is, I have never had a top on my car, so I don't have anything to compare anything to. I would like to install it myself if that factors in any way.

Any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I do like my top. It allows taking the car on trips that might get you caught out in the cold. My vinyl top came with the car when I bought it about 6 years ago, so I don't have any experience with different types. It was put on new by the PO and has the reflector stripe on it, a feature I particularly like. The top, when cold, can be quite difficult to fasten due to shrinkage (just ask Goerge Costanza!) So, that's my 2 cents (or less): 1) like the stripe, 2)vinyl shrinks when cold.

Trick6

Jedi Hopeful
BJ
As always, start with "how much do I ant to spend?" You can get a new top for as little as the low mid- $200 up to $750. You decide how showy you want to be. More the show, more the dough. I got a good top from Triumph Only at a deal. It was on sale. This is the EZ type and I had it installed by a local upholstery shop. I had the seats done at the same time. It was something that I did not want to tackle. I don't do it so some who does it got paid. https://www.triumphsonly.com/pages/main/index.html
I was looking at the big dollar tops. I decided that the top was only going to be up if I am caught in the rain or with the wife is with me on a long trip. I don't even wash the car with the top up. It is great for the money and nothing to be ashamed of. Anyways no one is going to see it. The big bucks went some place else.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I have a vinyl top that I had installed back in 1986 when some idiot decided to get cute with a razor. If I were doing it today, I'd be tempted to go cloth, buy like Al says, I too wash my car with the top down and only put it up if I get caught driving in the rain.

IMHO, the cloth looks richer, but that would only be for me to see in the garage. I picked mine up a week and half ago and it's been cold, but the tops been down for every drive since.

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
BJones
I just purchased a Robbins top from British Parts Northwest.
$273.00
It looks top notch and I am going to install it myself.
The Triumph VTR website has a how to install instruction https://www.vtr.org/maintain/tr6-top.shtml and I am looking for more.
FWIW.

OP
B

BJones

Thanks all for your input. I am leading towards the same top from BPNW. I figure it is Robbins top at a good price and they are a supporting vendor. They are on back order, but they said they should have them in stock within a week or so. Norton, let me know how the install goes and if there is anything from the instructions that I should be careful on. I am actually getting the gift for my birthday in June, so it will be a month before I actually get it in hand.

Thanks for all the help/input.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Mine is a Robbins top, twenty plus years old and it looks great.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How would you know. Sounds like it is never up . Even made the little woman freeze to death :devilgrin: :jester:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Give me a break Don! I may be stupid, but not crazy. Or is that the other way around???

I do put it up in December and it stays up until May. Just because she complains about the cold in May and I force her to ride in it, doesn't mean that I'm crazy enough to drive it in February with the top down.

D

DougF

Robbins makes a good top. I don't remember instructions being included.

OP
B

BJones

I will document as good as I can. Thanks for all the help. Now I just need to get to get the rough idle sorted out and I will be able to enjoy the car the way I should.

Tomster

Jedi Knight
Sidebar:
Will some one please "splain to me once and for all" why tonneau tops are so much more that a full lid???
No where near as complex to contsruct IMO

achtungeveryone

Jedi Hopeful
Tomster said:
Sidebar:
Tomster said:
Sidebar:
Will some one please "splain to me once and for all" why tonneau tops are so much more that a full lid???
No where near as complex to contsruct IMO

because "tonneau tops" have to be made in the "Tonneau Region" of France...otherwise it ain't a real "tonneau cover"

OP
B

BJones

because "tonneau tops" have to be made in the "Tonneau Region" of France...otherwise it ain't a real "tonneau cover"

Good one. I would like the sparkling wine version of the tanneau...