• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

shipping engine cost to Tom B. from Utah

G

Hello all,
Has anyone here shipped or knows of a good truck freight co. to ship a 1275 spridget engine? It is going to Tom Bedenbaugh. It will be a utah to tenn. round trip. I cant find a better place closer for a comparable rebuild. Does anybody have any idea about how much the shipping would be?Why Utah to Tennessee? #1 I cant do it and #2 I have looked for a shop regionaly for three months The machine shops and engine rebuilders around here get a glazed look on their faces when I checked with them on a rebuild. Any help at all on this would be great because I can use all the help I can get!
Thanks, jv
confused.gif
cheers.gif

OP
V

vagt6

Roadway Express is the company I use here in VA.

Reliable, and they ship the heavier stuff.

Check the website or call, they'll quote you a price.

good luck!

OP
G

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by vagt6:
Roadway Express is the company I use here in VA.<hr></blockquote>
Thanks Mark Ill check them out. What have you had shipped by them?
Thanks again ,jv
savewave.gif
cheers.gif

[ 03-02-2004: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

OP
G

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chuck Cougill:
Tom is worth it
thumbsup.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Hi Chuck, A lot of folks might read this post and think I'm NUTS!(My Wife would agree). But I bet You think I'm crazy like a fox. Does Tony deal with the freight lines at all? I was hoping that he might have some informational help.jv
iagree.gif
thumbsup.gif
cheers.gif

OP
G

Well I got my 1st quote from a company called American Freight Co. $389 one way. Has anyone heard of these guys? Roadway is getting a call from me in the morning also.jv
thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Roadway is who I use..I've tried other lines but Roadway seems best pricewise...

OP
G

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tony barnhill:
Roadway is who I use..I've tried other lines but Roadway seems best pricewise...<hr></blockquote>

Thanks Tony, I sent you a email this evening and I guess you got it. To bad your Alaska trip isnt taking you through S.E.Idaho, N.Utah I'd put you up for the night and feed you a feast just to see your M.G. and trailer up close and in person.Thanks again you Autoist you!jv

thumbsup.gif
cheers.gif

MattP

Jedi Knight
I work for ABF trucking in the computer department, so I know that they offer web quotes and you can even track your shipment on any internet device. Phone what have you. I have not shipped anything yet myself, but I do know we have the best safety record in the business. As for price, not my department, sorry.

Bugeye58

Yoda
I know it's hard to believe, but the last time I shipped one from California to Michigan, it was cheaper to go air freight than by truck! It's worth a look.
Jeff

OP
G

Originally posted by Bugeye58:
[QB]I know it's hard to believe, but the last time I shipped one from California to Michigan, it was cheaper to go air freight than by truck! It's worth a look.
Jeff
Jeff, What was the name of that company and how much did it cost you? Michigan to Calif. is very comparable to what I'm looking at. And was what you shipped comparable in size and wieght to a 1275?
Thanks , jv

savewave.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
I couldn't find the shipper, only the invoice from the engine builder.
I'm pretty sure it was Emery, and it cost $160.00 from Sonoma to here.
It was a complete 948 engine, so it would be identical to a 1275.
This was a few years ago, (1998), but at the time shipping it truck freight would have been about 300 bucks. I was really surprised to find that air was cheaper.
I think Huffaker ships all his engines by air.
Sorry about the delay, but I just got home from work. Gotta feed the LBC habit!
Jeff

OP
G

Thanks Jeff,
I guess I'll check some air shippers. Go figure!
jv
savewave.gif

OP
G

I shipped a complete 1275cc Midget engine to someone in Nothern Illinois for a whopping $85 dollars !!
But the catch is my dad works for FedEx !
smile.gif

OP
G

Originally posted by David Kiehna:
I shipped a complete 1275cc Midget engine to someone in Nothern Illinois for a whopping $85 dollars !!
But the catch is my dad works for FedEx !
smile.gif

Does he want to adopt another son? jv
crazy.gif
jester.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
jv - where in Idaho - I'm cutting across the state from Yellowstone to Pendleton, OR via interstate with a couple of overnights in Idaho

OP
G

Tony, I'm actualy in northern Utah. About 80 miles south of Pocatello ID. on Utah st. hwy. 91. The closest city to me is Logan, Utah.I dont know if you have been to Yellowstone before.It's spectacular. I bet by the time you finish your Alaska trip you will have seen enough beauty to last three lifetimes!
jv
thumbsup.gif
savewave.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm going through Pocatello from Jackson Hole, WY...then to Boise, Baker City, and Pendleton, OR....I'm overnighting in Boise & Baker City visiting friends in the MG world!

OP
G

Tony,
Like I said before I'm off the beaten path. It's nice living, but also a pain as far as finding a LBC mechanic.
cheers.gif
jv
thumbsup.gif