• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheel Bearings

littlecars

Maybe an odd Question but is there a way to replace the front wheel bearings with tapered roller bearings? is there any advantage to either type bearing? I just am not to crazy about ball bearings with shims when every thing else (this would include everything from motorhomes to snowmobile trailers) I have ever worked on had roller bearings. any opinions on this subject???
thirsty.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Dale, NAPA sells tapered roller bearings for the disc brake Sprites. P/N BR30303, and BR30205. I run them in all of mine.
The tapered bearings are more capable of handling the loads created by wider wheel/tire combinations, and the stickier tire compounds that many of us now run.
Jeff

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I've done the same. The tapered rollers are stonger and cost less. You may find NAPA a little higher than a regular bearing supplier. Just use the 30303 and 30205 without any letters. The numbers are universal accross bearing manufacturers. I got Timken rollers (which I consider the best) for a lot less than what NAPA or Car Quest or Advance wanted. I used Applied Industrial Technology(was dixie bearing)to get them here in NC.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Kim, the NAPA bearings I got the last time were Timkens, as well, and I paid 47 bucks for the entire set. The ones for the Spitfire were SKF brand.
I should have mentioned in my original post that the numbers were industry standards, without the prefix.
Must be a senility thing!
Jeff
grin.gif

MGFever

Just a quick question guys, I have the '74 Midget with just disks in front. Will these bearings fit this application? You list two numbers. Is that the numbers for front and rear or for the bearing and the race?
Thanks.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Fever, those numbers are for the inner and outer bearings. Both of them come complete with bearings and races, and they will fit your '74.
Jeff

OP
L

littlecars

Thanks for the input
smile.gif
I figured sombody must have done this. Now I do not have to worry about putting the ball bearings in backwards and have them fall apart on me.
cheers.gif

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I think I paid 11$ for one and 18$ for the other, I can't remember which was cheaper, but it was a little over $30 at Dixie. And you can get an even better price if work for a comany that deals with them. I usually find they have a better price on most bearings, but they don't have a lot of the oddball LBC type bearings.

MGFever

Man! I have to look at this site more often! Every time I find something usefull! I'll have to add this to the long To-Do list now!
Thanks a lot guys!
cheers.gif

Crash

Freshman Member
Interesting you guys are talking about wheel bearings and the "do I use the spacers or not" question with the tappered cone bearing has not come up.
Crash

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
Hi Guys & Gals:

After finding this neat thread I ordered the mentioned roller bearing from Applied Indust. Technologies in Greensboro, NC (Right next door to Kernersville) - I used to buy stuff from them when they were Dixie Bearing - They arrived today . All I need now is to know which way to press them into the hub - It's obvious which one is the outer and inner bearing, but other than looking at the way the old bearings are in the hub, which may or may not be correct The only clue I have is a drawing in the Moss catalogue which is ambiguous at best.

I appreciate any tips on this detail you can give me!

Bugeye58

Yoda
The race presses in with the thick shoulder to the center of the hub, tapered face out. You use the spacer between the inner and outer bearings.
Piece of cake, right?
Jeff

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Bugeye - Sun Tsu said " The solution is simple for the man who has the answer" ....
I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Now, if somebody will give me some tips on floorpan replacement I can't die a happy man - I can believe nobody has bitten on that thread yet - Either:
A. nobody out there has done it ( Highly unlikely)
B. Nobody wants to share the knowledge ( Anybody like that wouldn't be on this forum) or,
C: your keeping quiet because it's a dumb question and you won't dignify it with an answer..( again, unlikely - anybody with the answer would want it to be known that they know what I want to know!)

So, thanks again for solving the wheel bearing riddle - PLEASE see if you can scare me up an answer to the floorpan conundrum
I remain:
yer obedient servant....