• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

EN40B crankshaft

G

I have found a crankshaft for my 1275 rebuild and was just wondering if I found a really good one.Its cross drilled. The engine block that it came out of was # 12cc da h 9782. the numbers on the crank I beieve are 12G1321. I heard there was a EN40B nitrided crank and a EN16T tufrided crank. Can anybody out there tell me witch one I have and the difference between the two? Thanks Guys.
jv
confused.gif
hammer.gif
driving.gif

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
You have an EN40B crankshaft.
The dead giveaway is the cross drillings, and all 12cc engines came with an EN40 crank.
All other 1275s (12cd and up) came with the EN16 crank.
Both are fine, the EN40 being more sought after by racers because it is harder.
You can cut this crank to .010 and still retain the hardening. Anything past that and it's just a crank.

OP
G

Thanks Spritenut. do you think it makes a difference in a stock engine, or would I be better off selling it to differ the cost of my rebuild?
hammer.gif
driving.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
JV, it won't make a bit of difference in a stock engine. Hardcore 1275 racers are now running billet cranks, and boy, are they pricey!
Billet crank, Carillo rods...........$3000.
Jeff

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
No improvments with an EN40 but the cross drilled oil holes make better sense. I don't know if it helps any but it can't hurt.
FWIW I run an EN40 crank in 3 out of 4 of my 1275s.
Those 3 are the ones on the road. My spare engine has an EN16 crank.
They are harder, and better (so they say) but the EN16 is also a very good crank.
So good, better, and those new $3000 cranks should be best. Neither will make the engine run faster.
If you have one of each, and you are building an engine YOU are going to be driving,
How hard do you drive?
I drive mine like I stole it so I prefer the EN40.
I have also *heard* that EN40s can fetch upwards near 1000 bucks! Not that I would pay that for one but if someone offered me $1000 for a crankshaft, I'll pull it out and sell it.
smile.gif

OP
G

Gee! thanks for all your help guys. All kidding aside does anybody know anything about this crankshaft?
violin.gif

OP
G

Spritenut,
I drive rather calmly most of the time, but every now and then I go like a bandit too. You just can't help yourself, It's too fun! I like to use the best parts I can afford, but $3000 for a crank is a bit(way too)much. I got the crank for $25 and a guy offered me $400 for it.My problem is inexperience. Is $400 a fair offer for a standard journaled EB40 and would I be better served to sink that money somewhere else on the engine rebuild? Thanks for your help.
jv
hammer.gif
driving.gif

OP
G

What year Sprite or Midget had the EB40 ? I recently sold a complete '70-'71 1275cc engine from a Midget for $305.

Bugeye58

Yoda
The crank wasn't $3000. It was only $1900, but the addition of the rods brought the lower end price up to $3000.
Needless to say my 1275 doesn't have a billet crank. My 948 does.
Jeff

OP
G

Thanks for the email Spritenut it was very helpfull.Does anyone else want to weigh in on my quandry jv
hammer.gif
driving.gif

OP
G

Well I think I'am going to use the EN40 crank on my rebuild. Buyer lost job and can't afford it. Now can you guys school me on the best brands of pistons, rings, bearings and clutch assemblies? Also input on places and/or people who rebuild these engine in the western USA? The snow is starting to melt so I need to get cracking on this project.Thanks guys for your input so far. Visiting Basil's Forum is like taking a college course on LBC's. Once again thanks everybody for your help.
confused.gif
hammer.gif
driving.gif

OP
G

Thanks Trev,But I'm looking for some places that do complete engine rebuilds. The APT site is nice though. Any other sites or rebuilder recommends will be greatly appriecated.
Thanks,
jv
hammer.gif
driving.gif

Country flag
You might try going to the forums at the British Motor Trade Association and asking there. www.britcar.org
Have you contacted your "local" MG or british car club for referrals?