• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tr3a radio

Murray

Does anyone know where I could find a period correct radio for my Tr3a? I have converted to negative ground so that would not be an issue.

Thanks,

Murray

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Wouldn't a period correct radio be made for use in a positive ground car?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not necessarily; most cars were negative ground even in the 50s. Some, though certainly not all, aftermarket radios even had switches to select positive or negative ground.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
A typical Bendix radio for a + ground TR4 (fairly common) can indeed be switched to - ground. Some have an actual switch -- the Benidx has a plug you remove and plug back in in a different position.

I would think that period correct would mopst likely be an AM radio?

OP
M

Murray

There are shops that will convert the AM radio to current electronics and add FM radio without changing the face, or look, of the radio.

Murray

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I'm not a TR3 owner (yet..) but you may also want to consider the radio console as being important if you don't have one already. Had a built in speaker and house whatever radio you choose. Don't have the link handy, but I know someone sells a reproduction of it.

Randy

PeterK

Yoda
Radiomobile AM radio was originally available as an option. There was also a mounting bracket for a DIN size radio and 4x6 speaker that fit under the dash. https://triumphrescue.com/db5/00415/triumphrescue.com/_uimages/TR3_Radio_Bracket_parts.JPG

I am in process installing a repro bracket from triumphrescue.com with a non-period radio/cassette and a non-period power amp and non-period speakers in my 3A. The speakers a fit into custom brackets that fit into the rear floor. Just simple mdf and carpet cloth covering but functional and nearly invisible.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here's a pretty picture of one:

IMG_0792.jpg

Wish it were my car.....

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I put a radio in the TR250. Never turn it on, love the sound of the engine and exhaust.

ljstack

Freshman Member
Country flag
Radio.jpg
I don't have a period correct radio, but it is a Triumph radio (it says "Triumph" on the face plate), which I installed in a TR radio frame. Instead of a single speaker I have three. One facing the driver, one facing the driver footwell and one facing the passenger footwell. All speakers are mounted in the radio frame and NOT mounted in the door panels, or in the rear seats or anything like that. The radio was $100 from E-Bay; the Radio Chassis was an aftermarket item for about $100 from the UK and consists of three steel panels that hold the radio and single speaker facing the driver as original, however, I had it modified to fit three speakers, speakers were $20 each. The radio is powered but does not power the speakers - in other words, when I turn the radio on, it lights up. However, all of the speakers are connected to a wireless Bluetooth 200W stereo amplifier (The Nobsound NS-20G 200W Mini Bluetooth 5.0 Power Amplifier - $55). This is hidden in my glove-box, however it's small and discreet so you can mount it anywhere. I Bluetooth my smart phone into the device and it delivers the amplified signal to all three speakers; it sounds great even at speed. If anyone is interested I have a classic UK Grundig AM/FM radio that would also be great as well and I believe was one of the radio options in the 60's $200 if you're interested - pm me at ljstack@gmail.com. The entire interior and radio build and install was done by Custom Care Auto Upholstery in Myrtle Beach. They can also rebuild TR-3 side curtains.

Last edited:

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Not quite period correct, but somewhere I think during TR4 production, Triumph offered an AM pushbutton radio, marked "Triumph" on the clear plastic face. It would not look out of place in a TR3 in my opinion. Radiomobile radios were fit by dealers, but I have seen a lot of Motorola radios like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MO...160576&hash=item2d0403b8d8:g:lmQAAOSwAHFeQta9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-1960-U...205028&hash=item3d9cfc7421:g:ADUAAOSwA-VdvJck

These are just similar samples, but similar to what I have seen fitted to old British sports cars back in the day. Unfortunately, these could be had for $10-20 bucks easy on eBay back in the day, but these days they are asking much more for them.

ljstack

Freshman Member
Country flag
No problem on the shift. The photo angle makes it look like it would, but lots of room. Also, yes, the radio I have says "Triumph" on the AM dial area.