• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's behind door number two....

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Whilst starting to refresh the sad interior in my '6, I popped off the interior door panel. and was very surprised at what I found:

IMG_0816.jpg

I've been behind many 70's era door panels, and I've never seen anything as elaborate as this, plastic sheeting around everything, and a sliding sheet of it under the window, traveling up and down with the window travel. Thankfully no rust, just dust. Really surprised me; I'm not looking forward to putting the new handles on. Anyway, thought I'd share my surprise....

rchakr

One of my winter projects, was to cure an annoying rattle in my passenger side door. I glued a piece of fuzzy side velcro underneath the long rod at the top of the door. Rattle B. Gone

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Kevin,
That's in surprisingly good shape. Usually the plastic has all fallen down or been torn up. I re-did my doors last year: added sound deadening and new window channels the cheap way. You can see the steps here https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/WindowChannel.htm including how easy it is to get those door handles and window cranks back on........well.....as long as you don't re-use the springs

OP
mrv8q

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
BobbyD said:
including how easy it is to get those door handles and window cranks back on........well.....as long as you don't re-use the springs

Yeah, that's what I thought! Good to see you on this list too, Bob. Your website is a beautiful thing to behold, a constant source of good information, well executed !

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
So Kevin,

We've seen door #1, but what is inside door #2? Did they do both sides the same way?

OP
mrv8q

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Paul, right now the car's on jacks, and the driver's side is just barely accessible, stuck next to boxes of baby stuff .... at the rate I'm proceeding now, I'll have an answer for you in about 6 months!

BTW, your car's looking great!; I love all the updates!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks. Hopefully it will be done very soon and I'll fade away and we can watch your project in process.

YYCDave

Country flag
My Door #1 (drivers) goes "clank" and my Door #2 (passenger) goes "thunk". It's a '76 so I expect there were some sort of side impact beams but there's no evidence that either door has been replaced. Does anyone have a picture of an "early" and a "late" door so I can compare what should be there?

OP
mrv8q

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I can tell you that on the '74, there is some evidence of a side-impact beam.... don't know how stout it is, though...

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Does this help? It's probably the lever rod going from the door handle to the latch that's hitting and making the noise that you speak of. Something is loose and it's rattling around in there.

The second picture is how I sealed mine with a vapor barrier after replacing the regulator and door latch rods, etc.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Direct from Home Depot! Heavy mill plastic, cut to form with scissors and a little spray adhesive on the door. Hit with a heavy duty heat gun set on high for a few minutes and it shrinks right down, drys the glue and the plastic is a sealed vapor barrier just like in the GM cars of the 60's-90's (less the good seal, of course!)

Protect those new door trim panels!!