• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Single Carb 1275

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Occasionally, I get to drive another racing Spridget owned by my friend Pete. "#23" is a '63 quarter elliptic car with a 1275cc engine. After fooling around with the normal HS2 carbs for the last few years, he tried something different this year. He installed an MG Metro single carb manifold. This setup (which is Euro only) comes with an unusual-looking SU carb that has the float chamber under the main jet. It looks to be about 1.75" at the intake side. He's been real happy with it and will likely run it next year again. It works very well: I personally took this car up to a calculated 107 MPH at Summit Point.....about 10 MPH faster than my 1500 Spridget. Another 1275 Sprite racer was so impressed that he said he was going to troll e-Bay for a similar setup. If you're looking for a nice, simple carb setup for a 1275, this is worth considering.
Here's #23:

02b.jpg

Here's the single carb 1275 MG Metro setup, in this case with the addition of the factory turbo (93 HP!).

MG_Turbo_engine.jpg

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Jeff:

You're correct...it's an HIF44 carb (and it is 1.75", according to Minimania). I'm not familiar with the HIF, but I like it's compact design.
They have the manifold for $225 and the carb for $200 (all USD). More than I would pay, but may be better than the popular Pierce/Weber combo, which costs twice that.
And I see that they have made some slight improvements to the Minimania website (it used to be He\\....now it's at least like Purgatory).

HIF44 SU carb
FZX1280.JPG

Country flag
The manifold that minimania sells might not set the carb at the correct angle/height. This topic freq. appears on the UK mg spridget BBS https://www2.mgcars.org.uk . You can search the archive for more information

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
A lot of Mini owners with 1275+ engines run the HS6 or the HIF6 (internal float) 1 3/4" carb. Works really well on the A and A+ block engines....especially if you have hotter-than-normal cam.

My Mini Cooper is running a 1293cc A+ block with a 940 cylinder head, 649 cam, and an HIF6 carb on a Torquemaster intake manifold. Works great!

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Trevor Jessie:
The manifold that minimania sells might not set the carb at the correct angle/height. This topic freq. appears on the UK mg spridget BBS https://www2.mgcars.org.uk . You can search the archive for more information<hr></blockquote>

He did have to make a "power bulge" in the hood to get this carb to fit. Not sure about any float angle problems....like I said, this one seems to work well.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
The ole HIF 44 or 1.75 SU. I have 2 of those set ups. I went back to a Weber DCOE.
I ran the single SU on the A40 (stock 1275) and upgraded to a Weber 40 with in a week.
I tried the 1.75 on my Sprite and took it off before the day was done.
I have since lent the SU set up to a racer for his Sprite, he quickly went back to the Weber too.
I keep hearing how people like this setup but have those people compared EACH setup?
2 different SUs, a bunch of different needles, and 2 different intakes, no difference in any combo on all 4.