• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel pumps

fenwicker

I plan on a few longer trips away from the saftey of the home garage next summer and I am wondering if the stock fuel pump is ok or is there a better way to go?

Bugeye58

Yoda
The stock fuel pump should be just fine. I had to replace the one on my '65, in about 1998, and it was the original pump.
My '74 still has it's original in it, but I did have to clean the points on it, after it had been sitting for 13 years. That's all it took.
If you feel paranoid, go ahead and change it, or at least do a pressure and volume test on it, but I would guess you will be OK.
Are you still running positive ground?
Jeff

OP
F

fenwicker

No, neg. ground. Fuel pump is really loud but has worked just fine so far. I have about 600 mi. on car in two years I have had it all close to home.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
If originality is not an issue, NAPA and others make a round shaped transistorized electric pump.
Low pressure, about $50. Quiet (as opposed to the $20 square pump) and trouble free.
My SU pump finally died while I was 5 hours from home 3 states away. Although it did not just give out completely, it would not keep up and I was constantly pulling off the road waiting for fuel to fill the carb bowl. Now picture this on the Bay Bridge in Annapolis, MD!

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
Just the comment that "I am thinking of taking a few trips away from my home garage" is SCARY. You must have replaced everything under the skin with Toyota parts...
Seriously.. good luck and I drive mine often. I have one with a very noisy after market electric fuel pump and one with the orig mechanical fuel pump. I trust the electric to work and be replaceable away from home. I doubt if I could find a replacement for the orig if away from a Metro area. Advise the Napa / O'Reilly/ Auto-Zone group... they seem to be fine and when you can install them at home and not along an interstate then it is much beter. Replacing one away from home is easy since the plumbing is already there.

OP
F

fenwicker

Thanks for the good advice everyone , except for the Toyota comment
pukeface.gif
, I can't wait for spring.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
When I had my midget on the road. I changed out the fuel pump to a solid state type the I bought from a place called Special Interest Car Parts. I don't think they exist anymore. The reason I changed it out was that the SU type fuel pump satrted acting up about 4 months after I rebuilt it. I guess the points went bad, I would have to reach underneath and tap it with a screwdriver, etc. One time it stopped and I had to pull off on the side of the road. When I got out and opened the door and shut it, the fuel pump started running again. My wife and I drove the rest of the way home opening and slamming the doors to keep the fuel pump running
lol.gif
The folks behind us must have thought we were nuts.
iagree.gif
I cleaned up the points on the old one and kept it in the trunk as an emergency spare.