• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Whay type of Polisher should I get?????

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
I am going to be polishing my new paint job in a few weeks. Should I go with a <span style="font-weight: bold">7" angle</span> polisher, or go with a <span style="font-weight: bold">10"</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">orbital</span> polisher? Or maybe a different size if you think?
Harbor freight has a 7" angle for 29.99 at the moment and Walley World has the 10" Orbital for 23.99. It would be nice to have variable and the Orbital doesnt (3200rpm). The 7" only comes in two speeds. I think (2400, 3400). Also is their a good polishing compound that you like?

Thanks

Newkie

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I just picked up some Turtle wax Rubbing compound and it is really taking out the dullness and bringing out the shine. I am doing it by hand to prevent buring at the sharp edges but at this rate I'll be done some time in 2010.

Anything by 3M. I have some 3M marine compound (designed for use on fiberglass boats) that works like magic on badly oxidized paint.

Then back up the polishing with some meguires hard carnuba wax.

Steve_S

Yoda
The question is regarding polishing tools. The best tool for the job is a dual-action rotary. Orbital buffers are nearly useless. In fact I'll sell one in new condition for pennies on the dollar. I never use it.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
The Porter Cable 7424 is a universal favorite with many DIY detailers. I think I paid about $120.

I've tried just about every polish and wax on the market.

My favorite machine polish is 3M Finesse-It on a medium foam pad. For swirl marks, I follow it with 3M Perfect-It. Then several coats of Zaino. Mmmmm :smile:

EDIT: looks like Coastal Tool has if for $99. Good deal.
https://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/7424_car_buffer.htm?E+coastest

Attachments

• 11148.jpg
    11148.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 548

mccalebr

Jedi Knight

ronzi

I have had of the random orbital buffers from Griot's Garage for about two years, and have been well satisfied with it. Relatively expensive at about $125. Whether it's worth that much is I suppose a matter of opinion, but I don't regret getting it.

The foam pads are definately the hot setup.
Meguiars has pads the same size, so you aren't necessarily restricted to buying replacements from Griot's.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
This is a Meguiars car. I use nothing else!
P4280014.jpg

Steve_S

Yoda
No. Wet sanding is not necessary before polishing. Clay bar followed by a mild cutting compound will result in a beautiful finish. Wax is then applied to protect the shine.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
What is this clay bar I always here people reffering to? Is something that Autozone might carry?

Steve_S

Yoda
It's literally a bar of clay, specifically designed to clean impurities from paint. You lubricate the paint surface with quick detailer, then rub the clay around on the paint. The results are amazing if the car hasn't had it done in a long time. Run your hand across a section before and after clay and you will realize how bad your paint surface was before. Polishing after clay will give even better results. Meguiar's and Mother's both sell good clay kits.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
...Steve S,...he stated that it is a new paint job...I am assuming he wants the nicest finish he can get, unless it was put on by Michaelanglo, it probably needs wet/color sanding...with a hard pad to achieve a flat matte surface.Then worked up from there...no wax for many weeks, it has to solvent dry. Is there some info concerning his paint that I am unaware of??

Steve_S

Yoda
If the paint job was completed in the paint shop then no more sanding should be necessary. Of course if it wasn't sanded properly then it may be necessary to sand it further, but sanding is not part of the normal detailing process. It doesn't take Michaelangelo to paint a car and make it smooth! Should be that way already, needing only a polish and wax.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Newkie said:
I am going to be polishing my new paint job in a few weeks. Should I go with ...
The choice of tool depends on the job at hand.

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you need to buff out sanding scratch? Is the finish already smooth and relatively shiny and you just need to bring up the gloss? Is there any oversrpay? Is it single stage or clearcoated?

Newkie said:
...Harbor freight has a 7" angle for 29.99 at the moment and Walley World has the 10" Orbital ...
I don’t think a 10” orbital has any value at all. They’re too slow and too low powered to accomplish significant defect correction. They’re too large/awkward for simple application of wipe-on products on passenger cars.

For light to moderate correction and general maintenance I’d go with a 6” dual-action machine like Porter-Cable’s 7424 (a.k.a. 7336, 7335, Meguiar’s G100 or simply <span style="font-style: italic">the PC</span>), Meguiar’s G110, Sonus’ UDM, Griots polisher, etc.

Heavy correction takes a rotary buffer (<span style="font-style: italic">and practice</span>).

Newkie said:
... The 7" only comes in two speeds. I think (2400, 3400). ...
Both are too fast. You want to stay below about 2000 rpm for rotary buffing. Besides, you really, <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> want variable speed control.

Horrible Freight does sell variable speed rotary buffers.

Newkie said:
... is their a good polishing compound that you like?...
Chemicals are like wrenches, some jobs can be done with lots of different ones, but there’s usually one that you find you’ll like best for a given job.

For machine buffing new paint I’d lean towards Meguiar’s M86 So1o compound system. But it all depends on level of correction needed and how the paint responds.

vping said:
... I am doing it by hand to prevent buring at the sharp edges but at this rate I'll be done some time in 2010.
You can use painters’ tape to mask off edges, power buff the flat areas and go over the edges by hand.

vping said:
What is this clay bar I always here people reffering to? Is something that Autozone might carry?
here’s an earlier BCF thread: <span style="font-weight: bold"> Proper Use of the Clay Bar</span>

Autozone should have Mothers and Meguiar’s clay bar kits. Any body shop supplier should also have clay.

PC.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Does a clay bar kit help with Oxidized paint at all or does it only work with a car that has had regular washes and waxes over the years?

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
OK I just picked up the Mcguires Clay kit from Autozone for about $20. I kneaded the clay, sprayed down the car with the supplied spray and started rubbing. The clay kinda just glides across the surface. When I wipe it off with the towel, it looks like the same dull paint. What am I doing wrong?

Steve_S

Yoda
Clay won't shine the paint, it will only clean it. The surface should feel very smooth after clay, compared to before. To get the shine back in the paint you will need to use polish and a power tool.