• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Parting out a 2500M - Should I do it?

G

Seems a shame, but the car is probably worth more as parts than whole.

I have a 2500M project. It really only needs paint and reassembly - I have nigh on everything else for it. PO spent an absolute boat load of money on it.

I don't have the time to finish it, and we won't talk about the aggravation I got trying to get it painted. I can either go the ebay route, and probably lose $ or part it out.

I was wondering what the market was like for things like restored body or a stripped, blasted and reconditioned frame with rebuilt suspension. How's the market for glass? I understand the rear screen has value, and this one is nice.

I know I can sell the engine, box and diff to a TR6 owner, but what about the rest of the stuff?

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Hello,

First, my general comment is to NOT part it out. There are not many in the first place, and it is a shame to kill one. That said, the bonnet should bring good bucks as long as the bonnet frame is good. Bumpers are hard to find.In fact, any of the TVR specific parts should bring in some bucks. I am interested in the front windshield, as long as it is good with no wiper scratches. I also might be interested in the wheels.
I say fix it and drive it, but if not.... Let me know.

OP
G

I don't have time to fix it, that's the problem.

As I said, it seems a shame to part it out, but it seems that it's worth a lot more as pieces than as a whole.

<edit> there are pictures in my signature.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Give me a call during the week. I get in late, and work until 9:30 or so. I have restored more 2500Ms than most people in the US. 301 770 5247 Maybe I can help you find a solution.
Jesse

well, it would be doing the whole TVR community a favor to keep it together, and sell it to someone to finish. but if you parted it out, i'd probably buy a part or two. considering i get this 2500 i'm looking at.

GoBritBaby

I would try to keep it together, it's so much nicer than a parts car. However, I guess it comes down to how much you need to get out of it.

If you installed all the glass, it might bring more buyers. With the glass in it would be in a better position to travel across country. Most if not all the parts could be placed inside and with the glass in - it could ride on a open trailer.

OP
G

I put it up on the TVR list a few months back. Had one guy semi-interested, but that was it. I figured if a bunch of TVR enthusiasts aren't interested, then the rest of the world isn't going to be jumping up and down for it, especially given the showing of the last 3 2500Ms on eBay.

If I were to put the glass in, then it'll have to come back out to paint, and I waste the new seals. It came to me on an open trailer with the glass on the back seat of the tow car. I figured it would travel the same way.

GoBritBaby

Sorry I wasn't more help. I wish you well on getting it sold.

Perhaps you can sell the drive train for some $. Then sell the rest of the car otherwise complete and between the 2 sales get what you need. Many TVR owners opt for larger engines anyway....

TVRs on Ebay are a strange deal. You see horrible looking projects bring about $4K and seeming nice drivers struggle to get $8-9K.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Please advertise it here first.I've had an
interest in TVRs ever since I hung around with
some owners (bad influences!).

- Doug

OP
G

just as an fyi, Christine is going to be lonely for the next week or so - her garage mate just got sold.

She's looking forward to her new brother arriving in a few days though. Then she'll probably break down, just to show me who's the boss...

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks Alan. It was nice meeting you and doing business with you, and I hope we see each other around at some of the British car gatherings. Hopefully I'll do justice bringing 2877TM back to the road.
-Jim

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
While I wouldn't have blamed Alan at all for parting this car out (he would definitely have gotten more for it!), the thought of him parting such a nice car was a significant factor in my decision to buy it. Now I just have to find a new home for my other 2500M.

235841.jpg

aztvr

Country flag
What level of madness makes one be drawn to a second project car when the first one is not quite completed yet? Oh wait, I guess that might apply to a very large number of visitors to this forum.

Good luck with your new project !!

- Jim
'71 Vixen 2500

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Ha! As you can likely tell from the picture, I have a few projects unfinished. Fortunately (in this case), I haven't even started the project on the white M, so it will be sold to provide time, space and money to finish the new one. At least that's my plan... :wall:

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yes it is. I think it was a good buy overall. It will save me a lot of time and money. However, you don't have to miss out on the one in the background! I have a little work to do to it and then it will be up for sale.