• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

possible buy

so i'm looking at buying a TVR 2500. it's not being advertized, as it is owned by a friend of mine a few hours away. i don't know if it's an M-series or not....
at any rate, it's in pretty great condition, and was near flawless with a rebuilt engine and tranny and original paint when it was parked in a dry, climate controlled garage about 10 years ago. i havn't gotten to look at it too close yet, but what should i look for with this? what parts are expensive and rare? i need this car so that parts will be cheaper then on my 1990 300ZX, for which parts are rediculously expensive. and i have a scrap yard full of TR6's to pick from, so what TVE specific parts to i need to look for?

edit: oh yea i forgot. asking $5000 for it. pretty firm from what he says.

GoBritBaby

That appears to be a decent price for a car in good condition. See if the engine is still free after 10 yrs.

To me I'd be most concerned with the condition of the frame. A car can look pretty but if the frame underneath needs attention; you'll probably have to pull the body off to get it done right.

Many parts on the TVR came from other production cars like the TR6. But if you can get the year that will help with answers. I believe early 2500s used TR6 hub carriers but my '77 2500M has hub carriers with "TVR" on them and they look different than the TR6 part they show in the Vicky Brit catalog....hopefully someone else will chime to confirm or have more information.

OP
V
from talking to the much trusted owner and what little i have seen of it, i am sure that the frame and engine are in great condition. whatever was necessary to preserve the engine was done, and there was no moisture in the garage, so these things are not to be worried about.
thanks for the suggestion about the hub carriers. i hadn't seen that bit in any of my research. i will definately be looking at that. do post if you find where to get those

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Parts for the car are readily available. If you want to get in touch with me by e-mail at cmw-tvr@cox.net, I'll be glad to help you with any questions. You can also browse through my website (www.cmw-tvr.com) to see a lot of the stuff that is available.
For any car that has been sitting as long as this, even in dry storage, you will want to check your rubber components for deterioration, go through your hydraulics, check out your electrics, etc.
I'm also in Virginia so if I can be of help, please let me know. I'd even be willing to look at the car with you if you like.

Marshall

OP
V
oh thanks a lot! i will definately be checking out this web site. are you in the RTR? i have probably seen you at a show. i go to most of the ones richmond and east.

OP
V
also, i will be checking the engine and everything, i don't mean to say that i'm assuming anything. the car will not be purchased if a thorough inspection reveals any costly repairs to be needed.

the parts i am worried about availability of are interior kits, windows, dash, any TVR specific suspension parts, and anything else that can't be made or gotten from another car. are these available too? i have done a fair amount of searching online and have found little more then emblems and expensive suspension parts

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
A lot of the things you mention are available. Front windscreens are readily available, as are some TVR specific suspension parts. Interior kits not readily so as a ready-made item, but any upholstery shop can redo an interior for you with no problem.
If there are other questions you have about particular components for a TVR, feel free to call me at 540-400-8310 and I'll be glad to answer your questions for you.

Marshall

aztvr

Country flag
A big cost item would be the rear glass. Very expensive if you can find a glass replacement; however, I believe that Marshall has some options on that.

There has been reported a vendor that can provide a carpet set.

OP
V
ok got some good news today. i talked to the seller and found out what is new and old. the car has only been sitting for around 5 years, not twelve. just before the car was parked, it had the following rebuilt, serviced, or replaced: engine, transmission, differential, brakes, new shocks, new springs, new back glass with seal, and a new wiring harness purchased but not installed. all is included. the engine, tranny, and diff were all rebuilt. i'm getting it lol. the only thing he says i will need is tires. and this is a very trust worthy aquaintence. then i'll just have to take the fuel bowls out and do a bit of cleaning and i should be good to go. i'll stay posted on it.

OP
V
well, sadly, very, very, very, sadly, gas prices and college tuition are holding me back from getting my dream car here. since the seller is a friend of mine, i'm going to offer his contact info by email. sorry, this isn't the for sale section, but the description is already in this thread. so post your email if you want to talk to him about buying. it's in richmond VA

V

vagt6

Valencia Midget, sorry about your tribulations with the TVR.

Your posting here reminds me of some of my LBC adventures over the years, especially when I was younger. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to purchase an LBC and backed off because of financial or other barriers to the purchase. It can be most frustrating, almost like losing a friend.

You probably made a good decision. It's never a good idea to overextend yourself financially. And, it sounds like you've got your priorities in order, your college degree must come first.

If you're fortunate like most of the guys who post here, you will have many, many years to enjoy these cars. Don't let one experience sour you. It's just the nature of the "beast", antique car restoration can be challenging. However, the rewards that come with patience can be great to the true enthusiast.

Good luck to you, and be sure to get that college degree: it will ensure that there will be more LBCs, and more happiness in your future!

Cheers!

OP
V
thanks a lot! yea it really was a let down when i realized that it wasn't going to work. i'll get around with the motorcycle that i'm now planning on, but i won't have the piece of beauty to be proud of like i would with a 2500. this car will forever be known as "the one that got away". i'll have a TVR someday.