• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

280i Ford 302 Conversion

tr7andtvr

Jedi Hopeful
I am getting towards the end of this conversion. Would anyone like a “how to” guide on doing this conversion, or would I be wasting my time typing it up? Since I have done the hard part in trial and error fabrication, it would be an easy conversion for someone to do. The conversion does consist of the removal of 2 pieces of tube and the addition of 3 mounting plates. Everything ells came off the shelf. If I get some real interest I will look into posting a link to detailed instructions.

This will also work on a 289/302/351w

GoBritBaby

It would make for an interesting article in the TVR Times. You should consider submitting it.

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Yes, I fully agree, and I would welcome the submission and applicable photos for a future TVR TIMES issue.
Marshall

i would be very interested to read whatever you have to write and see some step by step pictures too! i am considering the possiblility of a similar swap in the future if i buy the TVR i am looking at.

tvr280

Freshman Member
I would be very very interested in a how to. It would probably give me the push I need to get going and would be much appreciated.

Grady

Country flag
If you do write it up, I hope you could share a final parts list and the templates for the above mentioned plates.

Too often these good conversions stories say "well, none of these parts worked but I finally found one from a (fill in the blank) that did" without giving away the secret part number or enough info to save reinventing the wheel.

Thanks Grady

OP
tr7andtvr

tr7andtvr

Jedi Hopeful
I will do PDF's of the frame mods, and mounting plates and I will give all part numbers and manufactures. I am only going to list the parts for the conversion. I think that I will have the car finished by the Smokey Mtn Show May 12 if anyone wants to put their eyes on it. I just need to find time to finish this. I am expecting this car to have better performance than a 400 or 420. 0-60 around 5.0 and a top speed around 160 mph. A Panoz Esperante is getting 5.1 and 155 mph with the same drivetrain and 900 more pounds. But we will see….

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
I look forward to seeing the finished project at Springtime in the Smokies in a few weeks. I'll have my "barn find" 280i there as well.

OP
tr7andtvr

tr7andtvr

Jedi Hopeful
Ill give it about a 75% chance of getting there...

There was a very good tvr turn out there last year, I think there were 7. I think the TVR guys that were there were more intrested in "The Dragon" than the show.

OP
tr7andtvr

tr7andtvr

Jedi Hopeful
The car is alive….

It has just been the little things that have been so much trouble. I hope to get the slave cylinder on this weekend and then it will be time for the muffler shop. If anyone is trying this at home or is doing a t5 conversion. Make sure you get a t5 from a 94 or newer mustang. A vw slave is a direct bolt in to the bell housing and to the existing line. But in a 95 you have to build a mounting bracket. If I did this again I would buy a entire 88 mustang and then let the junkyard have what’s left after I am done. I am also playing with a cold air intake for the Holly.

G

I'm only nitpicking because I'm interested:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Make sure you get a t5 from a 94 or newer mustang[/QUOTE]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]If I did this again I would buy a entire 88 mustang and then let the junkyard have what’s left after I am done[/QUOTE]

On the face of it, these two seem mutually exclusive.
Which is it?
Or am I having a senior moment?

OP
tr7andtvr

tr7andtvr

Jedi Hopeful
Sorry t5 from a 94 or older..... In 95 they updated the t5 in 96 they went to the cobra 4.6 engine. That makes a 95 5.0 a odd bird. Odd starter and odd bellhouseing.

OP
tr7andtvr

tr7andtvr

Jedi Hopeful
For some reason I could not make any power. It felt like my 302 was a 4 cyl. I started unplugging plug wires and found that I had 4 dead cylinders. So I revisited the firing order of a 302, and I was hooked up right. Just for the fun of it I looked up the firing order on a 351. Then redid my wires. WOW, I HAVE A 351! The head sits a little higher in a 351 and that explains why my exhaust was sooooo hard to fit. But now it is in and everything is looking better. So now I guess instead of a 280i I have a 580?

aztvr

Country flag
I'll bet that was a tricky thing to figure out !!!! I've read that you can get aftermarket cams in either firing order and they fit in both engines, so, you could have even have a 302 engine with a cam that was made with a 351 firing order. Not being a follower of American iron, I would never have guessed that.
Isn't working on cars fun ?!!

OP
tr7andtvr

tr7andtvr

Jedi Hopeful
By the time I push my foot all the way to the floor I have hit 5000+ rpms. My left foot cannot keep up with my right foot (so I have to hold back). And the rear wheels could spin at any rpm even in 3rd gear at 3000 rpm on a straight dry road. And I have 245/45/17... I am still working out some electrical bugs.

OP
tr7andtvr

tr7andtvr

Jedi Hopeful
The Griff is a little lighter isn't it? Its a big sound out of a small car. The engine conversion is done now I am trying to get a top and some carpet in it before a local May show. I also need to redo the brake master.

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would be VERY interested in seeing and reading what you have done. I believe I could use some of your tips for my own languishing project.
grin.gif

MatthewsTVR

Freshman Member
Any list you may compile would honestly be great to look at. I am considering one of these conversions on my 1985 280i and a parts list would be outstanding, just so I can get an idea of how much it may cost.

P.S. I really think that weber idf carbs would look great on a 302 conversion 280i.

Matt