• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Classic Racers in HD

Shane

Jedi Warrior
I was flipping through the channels last night and ran across a show called "Classic Racers" on a channel called HD Treasure. It was a documentary on the 6 Hours of Spa, which was run last October. Incredible show. It focused on three teams, one running a racing E-Type, another racing a Cobra, and a third that ended up running a Lotus Cortina. As the race progresses, I noticed at least 4 Healeys, a couple of Aston Martins, many Lotuses (Loti?), Sprites and MG's, Jaguars, and American Muscle (GT40's, Corvettes and Mustangs). From what I could tell, it looked like the cutoff date for manufacture was @ 1970.

It was incredible to see all of the marques at speed on a race track, especially Spa. I've checked for the next two weeks to see if it's back on, but nothing yet. I'll bump this post the next time that I see it on.

For a teaser, click here for a 3 minute summary on youtube.

I think I might try to make it over there for 2009...

OP
Shane

Shane

Jedi Warrior
<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">Yeah, the tough part is trying to get the wife to go and not go other places to look at stuff. She's from a racing family, so pit/racing life is not foreign to her, just not her cup of tea now. Oh well, it's only a weekend, we can spend the rest of the trip looking at old buildings...</span> :whistle:

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
There is so much to see in that part of the world, she would love it there! Belgium is a small country, and anywhere is within a few short hours' drive. You are close to Brussels, about an hour away, which is a wonderful city, the food there is out of this world! Great old buildings there.

About another hour further on is Bruges, or Brugge, wonderful historic city, chocolate, small narrow streets, chocolate,wonderful architecture, canals, bridges, chocolate, well you get the idea.

The circuit itself is close to Malmedy, which will ring a bell with anyone interested in military history......

You are close to the German border, and Bonn, Cologne, etc...

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
also bring rain gear, its green there because it rains alot,
even in summer ,

My friend lives on the edge of Brussels its nice and green, all year ,

There is another old race track in southern Belgium near the French border in Chimay that has had vintage races before , its just a few city roads that are shut down and turned into a race track.

Europe is a neat place to go , you just need to budget more for picnics and local food , Petrol is about $9 a US (4 liter) gallon but if you are not crazy like me you will not travel to Prague for lunch with a friend :smile:
so you will not spend that much on fuel.

Beaulieu

bugimike

Yoda
Just watched an episode of "Three Sheets" (the show where the host travels the world sampling local booze) in which he was in Belgium. They LOVE their suds there and boast the finest varieties of beers in the world!! THAT would make a visit fun!! He sampled (among others) a $45 bottle of beer...the Champagne of bottled beers!! :cheers: :thirsty:

OP
Shane

Shane

Jedi Warrior
<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">That sounds cool, she speaks German, and I speak enough French to probably land me in jail. :eeek:

We've been talking about an England/Ireland trip next year, so a few days in Belgium shouldn't be too difficult. Since both of us are architecture buffs; we're going to have a tough time seeing everything that we want to. But, isn't that how it always is? Oh well, guess we'll have to make a second trip...and we're nowhere close to finalizing the first one!</span>

OP
Shane

Shane

Jedi Warrior
The next show is Tuesday, April 15th at 7:00 PM Central on TreasureHD. This one will highlight the Porto Historic Grand Prix in 2007. DVR is already set. BTW, TreasureHD on my DishNetwork is channel 9473. Used to the the VoOM network, I think.

OP
Shane

Shane

Jedi Warrior
Unfortunately it looks like this channel is only available on DishNetwork. I didn't realize that until now. FWIW, here is a great web page with a 110 photo slideshow reviewing the race. Really good photos...