• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

65 Elan

G

Tired of seeing my dead thread up here. Theres a really beautiful 65 Elan on Ebay. If it ends up going to Barrett I hope there is a way to find out what it sales for.

BTW - I notice there are not any window frames - gives it a really clean look with the top down. Were they added later?

Nice looking red 'ropa on ebay too.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Series 1 & 2 had no electric windows. "Pull -up" instead. Not enough room th add a manual crank so they went to electric with the Series 3 cars.

I'll be curious as to what the S2 goes for.

LotusPosition

Lots of people are watching it on "another" forum, cough.

It has obviously had a lot of money spent on it, very nice car.

It does have some incorrect stuff on it, like Stromberg hood and some small things, should be interesting to see what it goes for.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We ~wait~. :laugh:

DJThom

Jedi Hopeful
If it actually sells in the neighborhood of the current bidding, then I'll not have lost as much as I thought on my current restoration!!!

OP
G

Ahhh - glad you mentioned that. I was thinking the lump wasn't supposed to be on that one. What else is incorrect? From the way the way the ad reads I thought it was supposed to be perfect.

And BTW LP, "ole blue" is looking really good too.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Are you trying to say that people aren't always honest
when selling cars?Say it ain't so!

- Doug

LotusPosition

Allen_M said:
Ahhh - glad you mentioned that. I was thinking the lump wasn't supposed to be on that one. What else is incorrect? From the way the way the ad reads I thought it was supposed to be perfect.

Here is what was noted about the car (not by me, I am too lazy to type this much)

black and silver horn push (personal choice)
Power Bulge bonnet (personal choice)
clutch master cap
valve cover color, No SE's this early (personal choice)
Rubber line from washer bottle
oil filler cap
center caps with Panasports (personal choice)
screws into center console pad
Fuel and oil/water gauge swapped (personal choice)
screw clamps
boot lid underside painted black
Missing filler strip on front bumper (personal choice)
Speedo cable looks a tad long
later gear knob

It's fairly minor stuff, certainly not irreversible.

I don't think it claims anywhere in the auction to be a totally correct car.

With all the production changes to these cars, the term "totally correct" is pretty vague. :yesnod:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
LotusPosition said:
With all the production changes to these cars, the term "totally correct" is pretty vague. :yesnod:

Got THAT right!

I'm just impressed the thing has the e-brake stuff intact and working (as if they ~ever~ actually "worked" :smirk: ). The screws thru the elbow pad are a bit offensive to me, but that's my "don't foul an OEM bit" preference. I'd feel the same over doing that to an MG or Triumph.

When mass production Chryslers and Chevys of the era go for outrageous amounts and our cars bring relatively paltry sums it just reflects market. It's kinda embarassing on the whole but that's just the way it is. Even when they were contemporary the: "Izzat a Fiat?" was the usual comment. Anyone buying an Elan as an "investment", particularly here in the Colonies, has rocks fer brains. Buying it to drive and enjoy as a great exapmle of heyday English sportscar manufacture is a better view of reality, IMO.

And even Chapman considered 'em "disposable" IIRC. :wink:

If that car gets to BJ it'll be interesting to watch where it goes.

DJThom

Jedi Hopeful
may not be a blue chip stock, but an Elan is an investment none the less depending on your perspective...

I sold a BMW 328i cabriolet to buy my Elan (mostly there, but all apart, body done). I had a few thousand left over to play with for the engine and put several more in after that.

Today the BMW has depreciated 11-12K from what I sold it for. Meanwhile the Elan has held its value (including what I put in) and may even have increased slightly.

So for my situation I consider it the best financial move I could have made.

I'll agree the Elan is woefully undervalued when you consider the price premium you'd have to pay to get to the next performance level in a LBC. Undervalued is usually code for "buy now" on Wall Street, so maybe we're all finanical wizzards...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm kinda the "odd man out" with the Elans. I bought my S3 in 1971, the +2 in '78. Always joked it was my I.R.A. Not true, but I certainly haven't LOST any money. :wink:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The Cortina began to exhibit the typical front-end deterioration, I had no easy way of doing repair so sold it. Herself was quite saddened; she drove it as her daily. Now have regrets but it did pay a years' worth of mortgage.

As for the IRA... ummm, I'll say: "last century" and mumble now, mmmkay?

I haven't stripped the paint from it yet, the frame has a lateral crack at the diffy where the starboard rod attaches. The MGB took first priority as the "get it on the road" car. It replaced the Cortina as 'smits driver. It's now at the point it only needs suspension rebuild, then the twink gets done. Limited in space, time and money lately. The old saw: "Life is what happens while you're busy planning something else." applies here.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
S'okay. The Cortina sale <span style="font-weight: bold">is</span> embarassing, but I'm not that sensitive about it anymore. :smirk:

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
Well, I hope he/she gets that price. I would hope to at least get that amount for mine, and at that, I still wouldn't be close to what I have into it