• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1306 miles-kinda died

T

Tinster

I be needing some serious advice.
A long post - I'm sorry.

My car (maybe) died under us today.

Started easily on first crank. As normal for this car.
Idle at 800 rpms once warm. Normal for this car
Smooth sounding as usual.

Drove 2 miles thru the hood to check out systems.
1st, 2nd and 3rd gear only. 40 mph maximum. A-OK !!
Houston- we have a launch!!

Left the hood and got maybe 1 mile before the engine "fell
apart". Stuttering, hesitating, burping, bucking, etc.
But it never stopped running.

Pulled a U-bee and limped home in 2nd gear with much gas pedal
and much clutch. Burping the entire way home.

Switched out vehicles: Three hours later-back home.

Popped the hood to see what a non-mechanic might observe.

Started easily on first crank.
Idle at 800 rpms once warm.
Smooth sounding as usual.

Timimg dead-on at 12 degrees.
No loose wires.
Fuel filter full and clear as a window.
Almost perfect looking brown plugs.
"Sounds" good.

Drove a 6 total mile- in the hood and down to the gas station-
back and forth several circuits.

redlined 1st gear a few times.
50 mph in 2nd gear
70 mph in 3rd gear
Topped 85 mph in 4th.

Never a stutter or burp! Solid as a rock operation.
Has me completely confused.

So, what's the wrench opinions?

I'm tempted to replace the entire ignition system,
dizzy, plugs, wires, coil, points, condensor and fuel pump
and all the wire harness .

Any ideas??

thanks as always,

dale

crj7driver

Jedi Trainee
I had a similar thing happen only to open the hood and see gas dripping at a good rate out of the carburetors onto the hot header. I said a quick prayer and hoped it didn't catch fire. Fwiw, it never did it again and ran fine a few hours later, but the symptoms that it had was very much the same as you described.

I did check the float level and replaced the float valves in the carburetors after that for good measure.

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
Sounds like a fuel [censored]. Check filter.

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
eh... "hickup'' then....

jobster

looks like a fuel issue to me too. Did you check the fuelcap seal. I just repaced mine since my car did die on me a few times, replaced the seal, never had any issue since.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Dale,

It sounds like a fuel system issue that is temporary just like the one that you had several weeks ago.

Definitely not cause for all of that replacement. Diagnosis leads to believe a fuel hiccup, not major ignition or fuel pump replacement crisis.

OP
T

Tinster

LastDeadLast said:
Replace fuel filter. Sounds like one of your jets got clogged. I had the EXACT same thing happen to me.

So, do I drive it and risk a $150 to $500 tow
or do I gut it and reinstall everything??

Seems to me an ignition rebuild is less expensive?

BLARGH!!!

d

OP
D

DougF

It didn't want to leave the hood. Maybe it wanted to see some homies.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
The deepest thing you might need to do is carefully drop the float bowls and see if there's any debris in them. I know your car is "ultra filtered" so it really should be good. but it's possible some of that island sand found it's way in.
It may have stuck a float valve open for a short time, or clogged a jet or a filter plugged with guck. either way it's not major.
No need for any major overhauls. Old cars can "hiccup" occasionally without meaning it needs thousands of $$$ in repairs. just a seasoned owner to spend some quality wrench time doing a bit of "cleanup"
It's normal LBC behavior. Relax Dale. Call my cell if ya want.. I'd be more than happy to jaw with ya on what's up.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Dale, did I not see a post indicating 1300 trouble free miles?? First rule of LBC's: Never ever praise the car anywhere it can hear( or read!) you. Just for spite, they will pull something like this, just to keep you humble, and remind you who is really the boss.

In all seriousness, it sounds more like fuel than ignition.If you feel like "doing something" drop off a float bowl or two and inspect, . If not, visually inspect your fuel filter (Closest to the tank is best), and clean or replace as required. Tighten up any clamps between the fuel pump and the tank, and cruise around and see .Do you get the "ethanol" gas like we have to use here?I have found a few cars with water in the fuel, most likely due to crappy fuel handling at the station.Look closely at the filter(s) for water separating out as well as V.fine debris. Either one can cause the problem.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If the fuel tank was overfilled, some gas may have gone into the emission line from the gas tank to the charcoal cannister. That will cause a vacuum to form in the gas tank as the fuel level drops, if the cap is not vented and prevent gas from getting to the fuel pump. This gives symptoms of running out of gas. If the engine is allowed to sit for a while some air will work it's way back in and relieve the vacuum.
I was distracted in a conversation at the gas pump about a week ago and ran the gas over. After about 6 miles the engine began to shut down. I reached back and opened the gas cap, the engine caught on. It happenened 1 more time before I got home; opened the cap again and continued on. When I got home I cleared the trapped gas from the line with compressd air. Finally, I could hear the air bubbling up in the tank and I knew it was clear. Problem solved.

OP
G

Run your hand underneath the two fuel bowls (flat bottomed with coin-sized extensions in the middle) and see if there is any wet gasoline. You have too many filters to have a blockage.

Check your dash pots. Any oil in there. They may need to be topped off with oil.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tinster said:
I'm tempted to replace the entire ignition system,
dizzy, plugs, wires, coil, points, condensor and fuel pump
and all the wire harness .

Any ideas??

thanks as always,

dale

You will create far more problems doing this!

Now if I recall correctly after the "super-filter" system you took out all of the fuel filters? I would bet that either you had a bit of water in the gas or some crud in the tank which worked its way into the carbs.

At the most take off the bottom of the carbs and make sure that they are clean but if it is driving now I don't think I would do anything. However I would consider putting ONE of the cheapo fuel filters between the gas tank and the fuel pump so that any crud coming from the gas tank is trapped.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
I`ll put my money on a bit O water {Don`t take much}. Throw a bottle of gas dryer in it and drive it a while. See what happens. A timing chain can act like that too but once it starts it don`t stop until you replace the chain, therefore I doubt it is that.
You might want to add a bottle of gas dryer to your emergncy kit too.

OP
T

Tinster

Yisrael--

I still have three in-line fuel filters.

I'll go over to Western Auto and see if I can find this
"dry gas" stuff mentioned.

The more I think about, the more a few drops of water makes sense to me.

The car screamed and roared during my 6 miles of test driving.
Not a single burp or misfire. I drove it hard.

thanks all,

d

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A bit of methylated spirits will do same, mind you might have so show reason for purchase as its a cheap lethal alko drink whenn mixed with milk :smile:

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Ask for Heat at your auto parts.

Don