• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Elan Uprights and Hubs

G

Can someone tell me if the front uprights and hubs on the Elan are made by Lotus or are they borrowed from another car? I think mine are from a Triumph Vitesse. I'm considering changing the wheel stud PCD on my car and I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Vitesse or Spittty... don't have all my cross-reference info to hand. They're NOT proprietary "Lotus" bits, fer sure.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I can't be certain! Have you checked the S.F. Lotus Club's cross-reference list? It's likely a better arbiter than I. :wink:

It MAY even be from a Herald for all I know.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was always told they were Spitfire,back when I
had an Elan Series "1-1/2" - #3892.

- Doug

Dan_Morrison

Allen,

Elan and Europa bolt on hubs are Spitfire/Herald uprights and the Elan KO uprights/hubs are from GT6/Vitesse. The axle diameters are 1.0" and 1.060" respectively. The brake calipers for the GT6 are considerably heavier if you are thinking about going that route. There is a company called PRI Race (https://www.prirace.com) that sells aluminum hub conversions with revised bolt patterns (4x100) to allow for greater wheel choices. They also have a big brake conversion. Get ready for sticker shock.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sticker shock, indeed. :shocked:

Only inadequate thing about the original setup IMO is: the frame "uprights" don't drain well and need to be checked/cleaned often to insure crud doesn't build up in there and allow rust to weaken 'em. The front suspension hasn't ever given me cause to hunt anything heavier. Plenty of autocross wins to speak to the efficacy of Sir Colin's choice of bits. :thumbsup:

OP
G

Thanks to all - I really appreciate the info and the suggestions.

I'll call PRI and see if they can help me further. Still not 100% certain, but I think my front hubs are vitesse. I think my rears can just be re-drilled between the existing studs.

Found these over a year ago:
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/ALLOY-HUBS-Alloy-Hubs/c415_416/index.html
They said they would custom fit any bolt pattern I wanted. But they have gone up significantly. I think they were 78.00 GBP when I first saw them - and the dollar is weaker now too. (Seems to me that performance car parts have a much higher inflation rate than other products.)

My stock wheels are 14X6.5 +38 4X4.25" bolt pattern and weigh 16 lbs each. I think the only thing that matches that PCD is older mustangs and contours and maybe something like an older saab. So my wheel choices are really limited - nothing that I think would look appropriate and save weight. I can probably get Minilite/Panasports etc that will work (and look great) but the lightest of these that I've seen is about 13 lbs. I'm thinking that Enkei 15X7 RPF1's (4x100) which weigh about 10 lbs each are the way to go. Seems to me that 3 lbs per wheel (compared to the panas/minis) on a lightweight relatively low powered vehicle is enough of a significant weight savings that it will make a measurable difference in acceleration time. If anyone knows of any other choices or has other suggestions I might consider PLEASE let me know!