• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Removing the Ugly Rubber Bumpers

BASS

Are there any special tricks in removing the rubber bumpers? Anyone have any pics of their 1500's without them? Also, will there be holes everywhere if I take them off?? I know I will have to do something about the turn signals up front if I remove the bumper (i.e. drill the turn signal assemblies into the fenders, correct?)..

RickB

Yoda
heheheh...

Yes..., why yes..., I believe I do...

You can get started here:
(sorry I don't have these in a format of any kind)

<span style="font-weight: bold">https://www.bastedo.net/midget/
</span>

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
and yes I do too -

https://tinyurl.com/3b3vo7.

You can see that the old bumper brackets have been cut off and capped and the lower air holes covered as well. My guy made very funky brackets to mount the new bumpers which I don't have pics of right now but will get.

https://tinyurl.com/2kqcpq

https://tinyurl.com/2m453b

Ms Triss had the dubious advantage of having been lightly rear ended before I got her, thus, unlike Rick it was easier for me simply to get a new rear valance to recreate the "humps" under the taillights. He did have to make a bracket for the bumper.

Rick put his signal lights in the existing fender holes. I had mine filled in and will be having him put in bugeye signals instead - a look I like better.

Having done all that, get pre-rubber bumper front springs (lower) and de-arch the rear springs an inch to get the proper ride height.

Bottom line is it's easy, not too costly and looks a hundred times better - go for it

PS - Not sure what the NJ laws are but if I were still in Florida where the car dosn't need to be certified in the same way I might have left the bumpers off all together.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
We had a thread on this a little while ago...

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/427856/Re_rear_panel_replacement

Looks like the Moss rear panel, and the two rear corner 'patch' panels would convert the rear.

In the front, pre-75 (74) fenders are a bolt-on. But they are expensive new ($700+ each?) and usually rusty if buying used... make sure you get pictures from *inside*. Expect to pay about $300 for a pair in usable condition.

And yes, as JP mentioned... the RBs had taller springs, to meet US DMV requirements, and compensate for the extra weight. Earlier springs, and/or front spacers for the spring pan, to lower the car, will restore ride height.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
And there's also spacers on the front mount for the rear leaf springs on RB cars. They are plates that are about 5/8" thick. If you remove them and add 1" spacers *between* the axle and the leaf spring, you will end up with a more reasonable ride height in the rear.

RickB

Yoda
I feel like the job I did has a couple of great advantages for the car I wanted to end up driving.

1. Very inexpensive.
The most expensive part I bought was when I splurged and bought the new grill surround from those Bright guys in England.

2. Very easy.
Unbolting and removing old stuff & bolting new stuff on.
Painting was achieved with a can of brown Rustoleum.

Mine is a driver, not a trailer queen. :wink:
Originality isn't very important on this car (I bought it with the Nissan drive train already installed). On this car my enjoyability is the most important thing.

I just want the car to look a certain way, so that's what I have aimed for.

I hope to replace the hood, trunk and front fenders eventually using mid 60s donors. Hood & trunk because they are both damaged, fenders just bcause they have the "right" location for the turn signals.