• This "National Events" forum is expressly for posting national events that would be of interest to British car enthusiasts. You post an event in the same way that you would post a regular thread. Be sure your event post includes:
    • Title of the Event
    • Location of Event
    • Date(s) of the Event
    • Point of contact for Event
    • Website, Facebook Link, etc., if available
    IMPORTANT: Be sure to add the event to our Events Calendar. It's easy - WATCH VIDEO to learn how.
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A New Type of Brit Car Meet

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I'm looking for some ideas and help based on your experience...

I have volunteered to organize a British Car Show. I have some experience with that, but this one is to be a bit different. This one will be held in conjunction with a local Chamber of Commerce event that is designed to promote local businesses here in Tampa, Florida. Basically, the car show is supposed to be an additional attraction for people to come out and sample the local cuisine and hopefully boost local businesses. We have room for maybe 40-60 cars. Well, I'd like to do something a little bit outside of the norm. Here are some new ideas that I have in mind...

1. I was thinking of making it by invitation only, perhaps inviting the winners of each class from another local British car meet. This would guarantee that we get great cars, and it would make it rather prestigious just to be asked to enter your car -- an "invitational" British car meet!

2. There would be no registration fee. The trophies/plaques would be provided via sponsorship.

3. I was thinking of having "the public" do the voting instead of the entrants. This would make it a true "popular" choice. I think it would be interesting to see what the average non-car guy and gal like. British car owners voting for their cars has always seemed a bit, well, incestuous.

4. Instead of the usual classes organized by marque and model, I was thinking of organizing the classes by decade, something like:1949 and Earlier; 1950-59; 1960-69; 1970-1979; and 1980 and Later. Then we'd have five classes and five class winners, and a Best of Show.

I think it would be fun and interesting to do something different like this, and it also seems that the event has the potential to evolve into something prestigious and unique.

What are your thoughts? What problems can you forsee? What things could be improved? Please let me have your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

DougR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
With a "peoples choice" award, you'd have to have a separate class for RED cars
devilgrin.gif

TFJEFF

Freshman Member
Ried
Most of your Ideas sound solid, car shows when properly organised will draw people. Might I suggest you try to have your group members attend local shows before your planed event to make selections of Classics you would like to invite...there are many cars that dont take best in class worthy of a looksee and it will gaurentee a full field. Be carefull making up classes...owners are notorios quibblers at times.