• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rochdale Olympic on E-Bay

• Thread starter Deleted member 3577
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3577

Just in case you don't have 'Rochdale' as a saved search.

b74c_3.JPG

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/...&viewitem=&item=150223166589#ebayphotohosting

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

Nope....

I believe the Kent engine was.

Possibly pre X-Flow....But not sure.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Most earlier Olympics had a BMC B series 1.5. The ad says it's a series one, which means BMC.
In 1963 they introduced the Series 2 with Ford pre-crossflow 1500 Cortina lump, so this must have been among the last series 1.

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

Thanks Roger...

Right date wrong series...

Personally...It's a toss-up.

I like both engines but the Cortina doesn't have the silly Siamesed ports (or does it?)

I know the X-Flow doesn't

OP
V

vagt6

Guys, it's hard to find a price on this car in any of my valuation guides.

What's the current market retail on a nice Olympic?

Lovely car, I think.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Mark...I think that's going to be a tough call...all in the eye of the beholder since it's considered a "production" kit car plus it's a RHD...to my knowledge we have only one BCFer who even owns one DUFFY Miss July,2008 of the BCF calendar and the owner is located in England. I do know he's also a member of a UK Rochdale Club maybe he can give you some guidance. I'm actually surprised that it's holding at $8,000. Good Luck it would definitely be a draw at any US British car events.

I did find his club website....

https://www.rochdale-owners-club.co.uk/history.htm

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I think that's a great buy at that price. Now if it was a series 2 I'd be more interested. They were quie an improvement.
The 1500 Cortina was one of the first with the Kent block and didn't have siamesed ports, if I remember well.

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

BIBBER said:
It would definitely be a draw at any US British car events.
I'd walk right past any new Austin Martin to check it out. :thumbsup:

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Interesting cars, and the rear styling works for me -perhaps because it mirrors my old TVR, but the front doesn't.

Effective as that modified nose may be, it wouldn't be legal for vintage racing, but could easily be converted back to flat bonnet without vents. Nicely done interior.

PS - I already have enough (too many) cars, but Tony should buy this one....

bugimike

Yoda
Interesting that it has stayed at that price for a while now!!! I would have thought it would keep climbing!

Country flag
bugimike said:
Interesting that it has stayed at that price for a while now!!! I would have thought it would keep climbing!

Me, too. Maybe there'll be a last minute rush?

In the UK one price guide shows £5000 for a condition 1 Olympic, and another shows £3500; but there are so few of these cars its hard to tell, really. I think that the market here is stronger than taht, though.

One came on the market last summer with a buy-it-now price of £2500 and was pulled off and sold before the auction's end. I'd spoken to the seller and it was obvious he didn't know the value of what he had- he'd based his price on what he wanted to buy some bits for another car!? One in less good condition sold the previous summer for £4500 or so.

And, I've just agreed to buy one... still need to pay for it and get it home, but the deed is done.

The Owner's Club has an Olympic Registrar and he's estimated that there were around 200 Phase 1s built and around 150 Phase 2s; with an estimated 96 of both types still in existence in the UK and only 20 on the road here.

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

SOLD.... $8,000

I think that was a pretty good deal.

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

Don't tell me the Japanese are scooping up our LBCs like those Indian-giver Brits.

(No offense to Native Americans or people actually from India)

Country flag
WhatsThatNoise said:
Don't tell me the Japanese are scooping up our LBCs like those Indian-giver Brits.

Interesting.

An earlier model- a Rochdale GT was sold to a Japanese buyer for a world-record price some months ago.

Maybe they're becoming interested in these cars?

I think they too drive on the left too so I suppose there's a natural attraction to LBCs...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
there is a lot of cars going to Japan. The ones being bought are the rare and expensive ones though - It is extremely costly to keep an old car on the road - as I recall by the time a car is 4 years old, the re-certification process is such that it is about the same money to replace the car - That's part of the answer BTW to how the Japanese car industry was able to sustain itself - built in government obsolescence.

But there is a lot of money for fine things in that part of the world

OP
V

vagt6

And, John-Peter, it will continue and increase as long as the U.S. dollar remains so uncharacteristically weak.

Just a few years ago I didn't mind purchasing LBC parts off of eBay UK (the British version of eBay). Now, with the pound at or near $2 U.S., it's really not practical to do so.

I'm afraid that LBCs, parts, and other car-related stuff will traverse the pond until our dollar gains more parity with the Euro/pound/yen, etc.

It's inevitable, and will be interesting to watch as it unfolds. One possible outcome may be a steady increase in the values of our LBCs, barring a bad rescession.

Interesting. :smirk:

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
WhatsThatNoise said:
BIBBER said:
It would definitely be a draw at any US British car events.
I'd walk right past any new Austin Martin to check it out. :thumbsup:

Just being nitpicky here(curse my OCD!), but would that be the same as an ASTON MARTIN? I don't think Lionel Martin ever had an association with Austin. One of those things that pop up in conversation, being an Austin owner. I also seem to spend a lot of time explaining why the car is a Mini, but not a Cooper.
Bruce

Country flag
I am with Bruce on the Mini, not a Cooper explanation. I ought to have cards printed that say:

Ford built Mustangs, Carrol Shelby made them into Shelby Mustangs. Morris and Austin built Minis and John Cooper made them into Mini Coopers.

Most people make the connection when I explain it that way.

Now....as for why it is a Shelby Mustang and a Mini Cooper (order of names)....that is a thread I started a while back... :smile:
Peter