• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hi there!

Engineless Alpine

Freshman Member
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site; I came across it by accident.

I'm from a small village (~300 people) about an hour east of Ottawa, Canada. In my back shed I have parked my 1963 Series II Alpine. It is currently without engine.

I bought the car 20 years ago when I was a kid working for a year in California. I drove it all the way back to Montreal. That was the beginning of my long (and often harsh) Alpine education.

When I first saw it, I was smitten. I bought it with an already transplanted 1978 Mazda GLC engine. I drove it around for a few weeks and didn't have any real problems. Actually I replaced the 5-spd in the plant where I worked and made a new clutch linkage. A few weeks of shakedown showed no further problems other than needing a new battery.

Driving back East, the car died on me on I-80 in the Salt Lake Desert. Ugh. Though I didn't know it at the time, The swappers just hooked the Mazda's alternator (-12 ground) to the Alpine's regulator (+12 ground, as you all know), and it all had cooked. I drove cross country with a gas can knowing that I might run dry now and then. I always stopped for gas and a charge.

I had always thought that when I got home, I would just swap in the 1969 Boss 302 that I had sitting around. But now I'm looking for something else.

Anybody with good and different ideas?

Looking forward to lots of creative solutions.

Thanks

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
The Cologne Ford V6 (2.8L in 70s Capri and Mustang - 2.9L in 80s Ranger and Bronco II) is a very popular swap.

The GM 60 degree V6 is similar size and weight but comes in 2.8,3.1 and 3.4L displacements.

A rotary conversion would be neat as well.

OP
E

Engineless Alpine

Freshman Member
I had one of the 2.9L V6s in my Ranger, and it developed cracks in BOTH heads. Plus, I didn't like the tranny. I'm thinking about the Chevy 3.4L V6 with a swap to the late model aluminum canted valve heads.

My really big idea is something that I've been seriously looking into. A 3.7L four cylinder all aluminum engine made by Mercruiser. The 470 was built by Mercruiser until 1989 and uses the head and valvetrain, connecting rods and pistons of a 460 Ford. It's half an aluminum big block Ford.

Any other wild but doable ideas?

Barry Knight

Freshman Member
Engineless,

If your are an hour east of Ottawa, you must be pretty close to Quebec.

The Ford 2.8 is, by far, the most popular Alpine V6 conversion. There are two reasons for this. First, the exhaust ports are strangely located (toward the middle rather than the ends of the heads) and happen to match up well with the equally strange steering system in the Alpine.

Second, Joe Rodriguez has figured out solutions to all the problems with using this engine. He sells a beautifully designed and fabricated kit at a very reasonable price and provides technical support to his customers (and non-customers).

You can find a lot of information about Alpine V6 conversions in the forum at:

https://www.sunbeamalpine.org/content.html

I am currently putting a Chevy 3.4 V6 in my Series V Alpine. I am using the iron-head version of the engine; the aluminum heads are lighter and produce more power, but they are EFI only (no manifold for a carburetor is available).

Using a Ford 2.8 and Joe's kit would be a LOT easier and probably cost less, but I enjoy the challenge. E-mail me at ***bknight46@comcast.net*** (remove the *'s) and I will tell you what I have learned about using the Chevy 2.8/3.1/3.4 V6's.

Incidentally, you will find that a modern 4 cylinder engine does not fit the Alpine very well; a 60 degree V6 is much easier to install.

OP
E

Engineless Alpine

Freshman Member
Thanks for the welcome!

Looking out the back window of my house I can see the hills in Quebec, across the river.

As for the swap, I'm up for a little challenge too. I actually bought a Buick 3.8L 90 degree with a 5-spd several years back, but the exhaust ports (without the manifolds on) aim right at the framerails. That was with just the bellhousing stuck on the back and fit into the opening in the fire wall. The balancer was just clearing the front cross member (no front pulley). I had already pulled out the steering intending to switch to rack and pinion.

Anyway, without some cutting, it won't fit. I'm willing to work on the firewall, but not cut the rails.

Any idea on whether the Ford 4.0L SOHC V6 (just an update on the 2.8) will fit?

Barry Knight

Freshman Member
The 4.0 SOHC is a nice engine, but the deck height is about an inch more than the 2.8 and the heads are huge.

It certainly will not fit with the stock Alpine steering system. If you changed the steering, it might fit, but performance parts are non-existent.

Barry Knight

Freshman Member
1. The Nissan & Chrysler V6 engines are nice pieces.

2. They will not fit unless you change the steering system.

3. They are EFI-DIS engines; are you prepared to deal with the digital engine management issues?

4. They are FWD engines; where are you going to get a RWD bellhousing and transmission?

5. You don't have to modify the firewall for a V6 conversion.

6. If you want to change the steering, firewall, transmission tunnel and frame, just build a Tiger clone (called an Alger) using a 5.0 Ford V8; better yet, buy a Tiger.

7. If you are really interested in a nice V6 conversion, go to the website I noted or e-mail me; lots of people have been down this road before you.

OP
E

Engineless Alpine

Freshman Member
At this point, I'm not too worried about additional performance. I'd just like to be able to drive the thing to work once in a while. Good power from a stock or slightly modified engine should be fine for me.

I've also been looking into the Nissan Maxima VQ30DE DOHC 3.0L V6, and the Chrysler 3.5 60 deg SOHC V6. And if I'm chopping the firewall, what about a Supra I6? I could take the engine, tranny and independant rear suspension too.

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
I'm sorry I missed your intrduction.As Barry says the ford 2.8 is a neat conversion.It is reliable and a good performing engine and is easy to obtain 180HP.Joe Rs kit is a neat piece of work and again as Barry says it will make the swap a easy task.I have the 2.6 Capri which is around the 160HP.We did the conversion in 1978 and had it on the road in 1979.It certainly is a driver as after 132000 miles
I must do the clutch.The motor is getting on but still is great.
As to the boss 302 you would be looking at more problems than I had putting the 351 W into the 64
Be sure to visit the sunbeam site

ssunbeam

Freshman Member
In Germany/Europe you can also get 3.0 Ford Cologne engines from the Capri and some other "European" Fords like e.g. Granada
Once even a small company called MAY in Germany made a Turbo kit for the Ford V6 engines

jfslenes

Re: Why not a different Mazda, a rotary?

I f I was into changing motors, I'd have to seriously think about a rotary Mazda. Mega ponies with modest effort, reliable as heck, etc. If money is now no issue, buyy the new one w/ 275 HP. Makes a pretty hot Algzda. Ought to save a hundred or more # off the front. Makes it 50 50 or darn near so. Good Luck!