• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR 6 clutch master rebuild

SteveT

Jedi Hopeful
I have tried to search for the name of the company that rebuild's clutch masters and relines them with a brass bore, but to no avail. Anyone know who this might be and any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

The master is leaking on the inside of the firewall, would it be safer to rebuild the entier unit or just get new rubber pieces and install them. I really only want to do this once.

Thanks all.

Steve
Dayton, Ohio

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I don't think that they use Brass, but rather Stainless Steel liners. Can anyone confrm that?

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
No personal experience with White Post but there was a thread on them on the Triumph Mail List last year that had mixed reviews. A couple of others that also do this work are Sierra Speciality https://www.brakecylinder.com/ and Goldline https://www.goldlinebrakes.com/ I was going to have Goldline rebuild my calipers until Ted Schumacher offered up rebuilt ones at an excellent price.

I always like having options :smile:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
SteveT said:
would it be safer to rebuild the entier unit or just get new rubber pieces and install them.
Depends on the condition of the bore, IMO. If it's smooth, then a rebuild will last as well as anything. But if it's visibly worn or pitted, then it should be replaced.

However, I suspect you'll find that a new MC is cheaper than having your old one sleeved and rebuilt.

JPeter

Country flag
I just sent a master cylinder off to be sleeved to Karps - karpspbresleeve.com
The guys on the Alfa Romeo chat site all use him and swear by his work.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yea,but when the brake squeak it will be in Italian.

R_Lyle

Why don't you just buy the rubber rebuild kit? It only costs about $15 and it is very simple to do. Mine was leaking in the same place a couple of years ago so I rebuilt it and now it is fine. Keep in mind that you will want to put some paper towels under the master cylinder in the engine compartment before you remove the hydraulic line. You don't want to mess up the paint. The hardest part of the rebuild is removing the master cylinder from the car.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
If you don't mind running the risk of having the fluid run down on the carpet or filer wall and if the bore is not pitted then you can make a good and inexpensive repair. Otherwise, send it to White Post and expect to pay, including shipping, around $150. You might want to ask them to provide a new resevoir and cap that will actually seal up.

By the way, the clutch master is not any better. Check it carefully, it may be leaking too.

OP
S

SteveT

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll put the rubber pieces in and see what happens. The car has 30K original miles and is a true survivor, and I want to keep as many components as original as possible. Like the alternator that I had rebuilt for $59.00 from a great and unbelievable guy in Dayton, OH. He grew up on Lucas electrical.

Steve T.
Dayton, OH