• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clearing the Undercoating

61Alpine

Well I have spent a great deal of time sandblasting the bottom of my car, getting ready to cut out the cancer and replace the floor boards. Question. What have you guys done to get that last bit of hard undercoating off. Some of it just won't blast off. I am about 95% done but there is some that is resisting the blaster. I have used a torch and putty knife on most but some is in places where it is not convienent to scrap. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

Country flag
Try using paint stripper. You might need to put two or three thick coats on and leave it to work chemically for a while. Scoring the surface of the undercoating with a sharp knife helps penetration too. Then a heat gun or torch should finish doing the trick.

[ 03-01-2004: Message edited by: JamesWilson ]</p>

G

Rob,
I have had good luck use mineral spirits. If it's a hard to reach spot I use a mini garden sprayer to apply it. Apply it for a couple of days without wiping it off and then apply it once more and do the elbow grease thing with a spirit soaked rag and a Scotch-Brite pad. Of course you will have to put that tourch away once you start with this method. hope this helps.JV
savewave.gif

OP
61Alpine

61Alpine

I was thinking about that as an option. I think I'll give it a try.
Rob