• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil Cooler question

G

Is there a right way and a wrong way to plumb the inlet/outlet pipe for the cooler? I mean, what's the diff? It should be irrelevant because there is no directional valve or such in the cooler, right? I choose not to use a thermostat because where I live and drive, it's almost always hot. My engine comes up to operation temp quickly. I just enjoy having that extra quart of oil in the system.

startech47

Jedi Knight
If the cooler is mounted in a way one fitting is higher than the other you want the oil coming out of the higher fitting to allow the air to be purged from the cooler.

OP
D

Deleted member 451

This begs the question as to which way it should be mounted. With the hoses up or down? With the hoses up you will always have a small amount of dirty oil in the system. Depending on where you mount the cooled with the hoses down there may be more chance of damage from road junk.
Might be best to figure out a vertical mount.

OP
G

cooler.jpg

A little pictorial on how I mounted my cooler. Note the Earl's cooler bracket and the stainless steel all-threads bolted through
the skid plate. Never have to worry about the thing vibrating and cracking (like it did on my friend's TR6, dumped the whole crank case in his driveway). Anyway, I guess the only way to get a complete drain of the cooler is......?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bill,

I noticed that your horns are a little dusty. That is completely out of character for you and for your car's normal appearance.

I sincerely hope that this little cam episode will allow you to attend to some of these important details.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Bill,

I suggest you fit an oil temperature gauge first of all to see whether you need an oil cooler. The coolant temperature is no indicator of oil temperature.
My car warms up quickly also, (no engine fan, just an electric one that hardly ever runs.) I fitted an oil cooler and oil temperature gauge. This shows the oil cooler was a waste of money and the chance of something extra failing. I had increased my sump depth by one inch though.

I realise that my ambient temperature over here will be less than yours, but think about the oil temperature gauge?

Alec

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bill I suggest you chuck the cooler and replace the radiator with one with an internal oil cooler. I mean, what the heck ,right? :devilgrin:

OP
T

Tinster

So Bill, I see no water radiator in your photo. Does
this mean that oil circulates now thru your entire engine?
That's a really slick idea. Certainly will cut down on rust
inside the block.

Does oil shed off heat as quickly as water?

cool concept! I like it!!

d

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Dale,

Now is probably not a particularly good time to be yankin' Bill's chain too much....

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]??????????????????????????[/QUOTE]

OK, assuming that you've never seen an auxiliary oil cooler before, that is one of them. The mini radiator works to cool hot oil and then it's returned back to the engine.

Those fit in front of the radiator and are independent of the cooling system, which Bill still has, just like all of us.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know you, Dale but on the off chance you were asking a serious question, the radiator on Bill's car was likely removed so he could slide out the "cam".

OP
T

Tinster

Interesting!

No, I've never seen one before.
I've read of them in posts text but quessed they
went inside the oil pan or something.

Why would oil not cool the entire engine?

Edit-
nevermind- a wrench I ain't.

d

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Oil does do it's part in cooling as well as lubricating. Without an oil cooler the oil gets "cooled" or should I say looses heat, by all that splashing around it does. Kind of like cooling a bowl of soup by stirring around with a spoon.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Tinster said:
Why would oil not cool the entire engine?
Oil is a much poorer coolant than water (or even water/antifreeze mix). Has only about 1/3 the heat conduction, as well as about 1/3 the heat capacity of water. So, to use it for cooling the entire engine, you would likely need larger coolant passages in the head, block and radiator (more surface area for conduction) as well as a higher capacity pump to move it around faster.