• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

There Will Be Blood.......

G

You ever get the feeling that you are talking to a Daniel Day-Lewis character when you are trying to discuss your car and the parts (you are willing to give them large sums of your money for) you need? Crimeny, gimme a break! I mean I get tired of hostility. No one in particular. I just think The Forum is my last and only refuge from the world sometimes. Well, my new-found machinist (Vietnamese immigrant, maybe that's why) is a nice guy. And then there is Uncle Dave (at TRF). Nobody will talk bad about Uncle Dave. Well, almost nobody. (Why do I call him uncle, I am older than him)

Just ranting.......didn't sleep well

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"OOOMMMMM......OOOOoooooommmmmmm....."

OP
T

Tinster

The Moneypit syndrome.

Off to Doc Payne's again this AM. My dentist
drives an antique Porsche, so I guess I am helping
support TWO moneypit autos !!

One is a pain in the ...., the other a pain in my jaw!

Do a root canal on some poor slob today- you'll feel better!

d

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Practice with IT remote support!, after that nothing will faze you ever!, except another dose of the purported remote 24/7 assistance :smile:

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Stoic! Ya gotta be a practising stoic to be in this hobby, clamped jaw, far away look in your eyes and no flinching when they tell you the price for re-chroming an itty bitty part.

Tinkerman

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
As I said the other day, I am getting tired of kissing people's behinds to take my money. Just trying to get quotes and specs on a cam can be very frustrating. I can only imagine the service afterwards.

Maybe that's why there is only a few vendors left that can support this hobby. Their help can kill them with the attitudes towards customers.

OP
D

DougF

Dave knows those numbers off the top of his head!

Bill, what do your patients say when you stick your greasy fingers into their mouths?

Several years ago I helped rebuild the front end on a TR6. The owner, a surgeon, was also digging in up to this elbows. He was cutting someones chest open the next morning. Thank God for gloves!

OP
G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]As I said the other day, I am getting tired of kissing people's behinds to take my money[/QUOTE]

Depressing isn't it.

Finding even semi-competent craftsmen is the hardest part of the job I swear.

tomshobby

Yoda
alana said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]As I said the other day, I am getting tired of kissing people's behinds to take my money

Depressing isn't it.

[/QUOTE]

Completely agree.

The good part is that more of us are beginning to avoid just blindly ordering parts from a catalog. There seems to be a movement to ask more questions and evaluate more, then order parts that meet higher standards.

I understand that one of the catalogs no longer offers the water pumps from India and will not handle pumps until they can find a reliable source of dependable pumps. That restores some faith in that company for me and tells me that we are gaining.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Tom: <span style="font-style: italic">" understand that one of the catalogs no longer offers the water pumps from India and will not handle pumps until they can find a reliable source of dependable pumps. That restores some faith in that company for me and tells me that we are gaining."</span>

... unless we need water pumps :jester:

T.

OP
T

Tinster

alana said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]As I said the other day, I am getting tired of kissing people's behinds to take my money

Depressing isn't it.

[/QUOTE]

Really hits home. Like the $600 I had to pay in advance to have
the clutch throw-out bearing installed... after I had gutted the
car and pulled the tranny myself. $600 to install a T/O bearing- imagine!!
I did not know any better at the time how simple a task that is.

And then the SOB refused to install the T/O bearing. Stole my $600.
Dave the Canada Guy finally flew to PR for the clutch install.

The most competent local craftsman I have been able to find is myself-
and I know diddly squat about auto mechanics.

d

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The most competent local craftsman I have been able to find is myself-[/QUOTE]

Dale,

Rumor has it, that Pedro has taken the opportunity to post your name in his approved technician list for the island.

I would expect that as his sales increase, your business will soon pick up accordingly.