• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Curious....

G

Why does carbon build up on the left side of my piston tops and not on the power side?

And, why is the sky blue?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
Why does carbon build up on the left side of my piston tops and not on the power side?

Because.

For a more enlightened answer, see here:

Attachments

• 10104.jpg
    10104.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 406

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
TR6BILL said:

Not on the power side? You mean the bottom. Well....
The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Bill have you been running too rich? Have you ever noticed a gasoline smell in the oil on your dip stick?

OP
G

Nope, not running rich.

If you all were to remove the heads to your engines, you would all see carbon buildup on top of the pistons. The Bentley manual even has instructions on how to remove that carbon.

I guess that the power side (carb side) is hotter, that is why you stagger your rings away from that side.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
So, you are saying the carbon builds up more on the spark plug side. This would suggest to me there is incomplete combustion upon the spark, but the gas mixture burns more throughly as the flame spreads across the piston.

A guess...

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, and I believe it's recommended that one shouldn't get too enthusiastic about removing carbon build-up around the perimeter of the piston, especially in an older engine.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If it ain't comin' apart, let sleeping dogs lie. One chunk of "coke" down betwixt wall and piston is askin' fer trouble. Stuff the bores with paper towels instead!

If you just HAVE to do something about it, wait 'til it's running again and mist some water into the throats at 3K RPM.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
DrEntropy said:
If you just HAVE to do something about it, wait 'til it's running again and mist some water into the throats at 3K RPM.

My old man use to spray a mixture of water and diesel oil into the carbs while the engine was running. He claimed it took care of carbon build up. The cloud of smoke was a sight to see. If I were to do that today, I'd be arrested.

He also would run a mixture of motor oil and diesel in the crankcase every third oil change to clean out sludge.

None of this appeared to harm the engines, but I'm not sure I would do any of this, however he learned about engines as a farm boy, and swore by these procedures.

I miss him....

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Ray, those were the Guys that could keep their tractors running 50 years.

OP
G

Aren't these supposed to be <span style="font-style: italic">tractor motors</span>?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
The thing looks just like the engine in the car I learned to drive in. Mother's 52 Chevy. Well, maybe the carb was different.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] ....hey Ray,..ever hear of the busted up walnut pieces to decoke a head? pour em in the carb while keeping the revs up....[/QUOTE]
That's what Twosheds squirrels were trying to do, only from the wrong end....

Smoke.jpg

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Bill
I have the head off my engine at the moment and there are lots of loose flakes of carbon on the pistons. I'm curious as to why this doesn't get blown out with the exhaust gas?????? There must be a fair bit of air movement in there.
Regards
Craig

OP
G

Most mechanics I talk to (ok, they aren't LBC mechanics) say that is pretty much normal, caked carbon on the tops of the piston. Again, refer to the Bentley manual where they talk about removal of such. I don't believe that they would devote a section to this phenomenon knowing the economy of words they are noted for.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Everybody knows why the sky is blue.

The sky is blue for swatting shuttlecocks;
doing skeetshooting and watching air shows...

and, yes, Mickey,

Air is for blowing up volleyballs and basketballs.

Bill Cosby. The King of clean comedy.