• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1980 MGB Roadster . . . Restoration Progress

• Thread starter Deleted member 8566
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8566

I just wanted to get on and introduce myself. My name is Justin and I'm new to the MG world. I recently purchased a 1980 to restore. I will post pictures of everything so far. I know at this point that I need a new cylinder head and I need to rebuild the block. So if anyone has a good cylinder head they want to sell for a good price, get in contact with me.

To see pictures go to this link:

MY MGB

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Re: 1980 MGB Roadster . . . New to the MG world

JUSTIN!! Glad you made it over here....yep, for the money, looks like you got a good one!

OP
D

Deleted member 8566

Thanks Tony, yea the car cleaned up well after sitting so long, now to try and get it running.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

Welcome to the BCF Justin! It's a great group. Much activity, not inactive like the other forum you were on. Of course, there are a few here that gets a little goofy at times.
evilgrin0013.gif
I won't mention any names though.
rolleye0012.gif

OP
D

Deleted member 8566

So today I started to disassemble the engine. I haven't got very far, just took off the valve cover, the thermostat housing, and unbolted the manifold from the head. I still have to unbolt it from the exhaust, but it seems rusted on and I'm quite sure that they haven't been loosened in about 30 years, I expect that to be a bit of a feat. The good news is, that what I thought to be a cracked cylinder head doesn't appear to have a crack, externally that is, so that is good news for me. Tony, I will be in touch very soon to ask you your advice on this. I do know that I will be having to rebuild the bottom, which I don't exactly how to do this, but Tony has talked me through a good bit and with advice and some parts from him I think I will pull through. I also will need to think about rewiring some things. Hopefully I can get some help here on that, either by someone in my area or pictures that show what it should look like versus what I am working with, and that is where I am right now.

As I continue, I will post pictures on my web page of the progress.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Just pull the whole intake/exhaust up tight against the inner fender & tie it with some wire for right now - or until you get the engine out & can more readily get to it because you are going to break a couple of the studs in that exhaust maifold (they can be replaced)

OP
D

Deleted member 8566

Thats a great idea Tony, thanks, also, I'm having a real fight to get the bolts loose on the head, any suggestions?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Get some PBX Blaster & spray on them & wait a half hour....then use a 1/2" breaker bar.

Jarhead

Jedi Hopeful

Nice looking ride Justin. Be sure to exercise lots of patience! I bought my last B several years ago and drove it for a few years before I decided to tear it down. Of course I had to get it running first. It gave me a little time to decide what needed replaced and what was okay. Tony and the rest of the BCF will prove to be invalueable.
Good Luck!

OP
D

Deleted member 8566

I just wanted to come on here and thank everyone for all their help and advice, especially Tony, this is a learning experience for me and all the help and advice is greatly appreciated.

OP
D

Deleted member 8566

UPDATE:

Just wanted to update on the car. I finally managed to get the cylinder head off, in am going to be working on unbolting the engine and getting it out in the next few days. I'll be posting pictures soon I hope. If there are any MGB folks in the Atlanta area, especially near the Kennesaw/Acworth area, please let me know, I would love the help and insight.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Nice looking auto. You are lucky to get one that appears sooo rust free. Mechanicals are a walk in the park compared to fussing with a rotted body/chassis. Best of luck, Bob

OP
D

Deleted member 8566

Thanks Bob, yea the body is virtually rust free, minor spot on the passenger side dog leg and a little on the floor boards, but nothing major at all, the mechanicals and wiring will be a hassle though. But you're right, better than body work.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

First time noticing this thread. Car looks real good and no better place than here to be if your are DYI. Lotsa good folks and advice round here. Good luck with it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Welcome, Justin! Good lookin' example you found.

...'cept for that German coil. :smirk: :devilgrin:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Justin - just got home from overnight trip - will call you tomorrow.

OP
D

Deleted member 8566

UPDATE:

I plan on getting the engine out this weekend. I'm going up to Chattanooga and going to bring back my girlfriends dads engine lift and hopefully get the engine out of the car. Since I'm stuck on going further with any mechanicals, the next step was to remove the dash and start to fix some of the shorts in the wiring harnesses, so today I got the gauges and old dash out. I will post pictures on my site soon, so keep checking back!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Justin - Just looked at your photos....a tip for the next time: you don't have to remove the hood to pull an MGB engine/transmission......remove the hood prop, attach a piece of string to the front of the hood & pull the hood straight up, then tie the other end of the string to the back bumper or tailpipe.

OP
D

Deleted member 8566

I figured I could do that Tony, but the hood needs to be replaced anyway so that is why I took it off.

OP
D

Deleted member 8566

UPDATE:

Engine is unbolted and the lift is in place ready to pull it out. Also I went ahead and took the dash out so that I can work on wiring and replacing the dash with one not cracked.

Pictures are up on my site.