• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

WINTER

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Well the white stuff has come.I'm in the process of putting the cars away.Also finding room to work on them over the season.Man can I ever fill up the garage with non essential sunbeam stuff.
Winter projects.
Replace clutch on the 62.
Replace speedo gear in the 65 Tiger.Safety it and then maybe sell.
Miscellaneous things on the Lister and prepare for the final painting.This took 6 years more than I planned.doesn't look that bad as it's a 10 foot finish.
Do the rust on the bottom of the doors on the 81 Eldorado.Has 157000 kilometers and will probably sell if my wife lets me.
Put the ski racks on the motor home.
Do the Christmas decorating while it isn't too cold and too much snow in the next week or so.
Plan for the summer events as our plans were hijacked by too many other non car things.
How about all of you out there? What have you got planned?
canpatriot.gif
Hey it's still sunny.

61Alpine

Snowed here yesterday and today. Not much on the ground but plenty cold.
I am going to finish the carpeting (probably take it to a pro). Then I am going to start working on my #2 Series I. No engine or trans with car so V6 here I come. First I am going to strip the body to bare metal clear any rust, pound out any dents, then fit the engine and trans. While the engine is off to the machine shop I will work on getting the body work done and painted.
Rob

G

Believe it or not, it is now cold & rainy in Souther California. Ok, we don't know what winter is compared to everyone else!

My project, sadly, is to part out what's left of my '67 after smashing it up. I looked at some rather rough Alpines bodies I could have used, but the the thought of another rebuild didn't sit too well with me. We're both giving up the ghost.....

Good luck to every one else!

61Alpine

Sorry to hear about your Alpine giving up the ghost. I am just starting another rebuild so I know what you mean about wanted to get involved in that. Good luck.
Rob

Bugeye58

Yoda
1. Finish "New" race car. ('62 Sprite.)
2. Finish resto on MkI GT6. (Install glass, interior, and chrome.)
3. Rebuild engine in 1500 Spitfire race car.
4. Build spare engine for #1.
5. Find someplace warm!
Jeff
crazy.gif

61Alpine

Started on my #2 Alpine tonight. Its a bit rougher than I thought but since I only paid $100 I guess I have to give it a go. Going to need new floors and a little straightening on the right rear.
Tonight I got all the old electrics out of the engine bay and started cleaning out the passenger area. That is is mess.

impster

Projects?

I'm so far away from working on my current project, a '61 Rapier. Just bought a fixer-upper house with a ratty garage. Before anything automotive can happen, the architect whom we just hired has to come up with a design (house and garage) that we like, and then I have to build the garage next summer (what a wife I have - she was the one who suggested that we build the garage before remodeling the house!).

And to think that I thought I could have the car ready to take to SUNI! Hah!

So to the rest of you who have a place to work on a project, enjoy your workspace and happy Sunbeaming.

Tony Fontaine

'61 Rapier convertible

OP
T

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
It sure does me good to see that so many of you will be busy.I have found enough floor space to get 1 car in for working.Just need more storage space and I will get the Lister in first as there are a few minor mechanical things to adjust.
Keep on smiling as it's sunny every day.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Chuck, I smile every day I wake up on the green side of the grass!
I really need to update the heat situation in my garage before I start on my winter list that I posted above. My garage was originally a carriage house at the old railroad station, about a half mile away, and was built in 1909, disassembled by my grandfather some time in the '40's, and reassembled here. It's tiny and drafty, but it has served me well so far. I guess with age, my tolerance level for cold has decreased. But, ever optimistic, away we go!
Jeff

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
It is suposed to be between -30f and -50f here by tomorrow. I will be here for another 5 weeks. My cars are all in a much warmer place, and except for the Seven, will bet run all winter. I don't like to run it on wet roads, and on my part of the Oregon coast, 100" of rain over the winter is close to average I think.

I'm not luuking forward to another sub arctic winter, I'm glad I won't be here for all of it.

OP
T

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Super 7.
Where are you that it will be -30 to - 50 F?
Right now in Winnipeg it is +36 and going to + 40F.Fantastic.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I'm in Delta Junction, Alaska. It was -35 F yesterday. Today it warmed up to -19.

[ 11-17-2003: Message edited by: Super 7 ]</p>

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Super 7...I'll be in Delta Junction end of June...will have an MGB with me...lets do a top down run one day....

OP
T

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Super 7
I guess I won't complain for awhile.Hope its warm enough when Tony is there.Then you say you will be there for only 5 weeks.What are you doing there?
canpatriot.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by thegoodbeamer:
How about all of you out there? What have you got planned?
canpatriot.gif
Hey it's still sunny.
<hr></blockquote>

You're selling the Tiger?

I'll be racing next weekend, then the Spridget goes away in my workshop for proper body repairs from the Watkins Glen crash. Engine will get new bearings, pistons and so forth at the same time.
Meanwhile, there's always winter-flying:
cubski2.jpg

OP
T

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Nial
I know it sounds ridiculous but I'm actually thinking of selling the tiger.Not in a big way as I never thought I would consider such a thing.However it seems since I retired there is so many things to keep me busy.As well there are just too many vehicles to maintain.Went to start my 85 F150 and no go.I think it is the fuel pump as there is lots of spark.Thankfully the weather is not bad as this has to be done outside.
The Tiger just won't go to any one who has money as money is not the reason to consider selling. It does have Bondo as the body work was done in Calgary before I got it.Main concern is the right side door.Didn't look right.They filled over a long dent.I went over it but it must be redone with part panel replacement or some serious metal shrinking.I will not really sell untill that is taken care of as well as the other little things.Other than a 5 speed it is stock and it is fast.
Well I have to go and look up how bad it is to replace the fuel pump.
Still every day is sunny.
canpatriot.gif

V

vagt6

Here's another bad weather story: Early last week the weather.com website forecasted "sunny" weather in the 50's & 60's for last Sat and Sun. "Great", I said. This will give me the final opportunity to get out and replace my fuel lines before winter sets in (I have no garage). So, I got the parts and tools ready.

Then, the forecast strangely changed and it was rainy and cold all day Saturday. Sunday morning came and more of the same -- cold & rainy.

So, I said to heck with it, went outside in the rain and worked on the car for 2 1/2 hours. Got really wet and cold, but the fuel lines were replaced!

What lengths we'll go to for our LBCs. . .

Mark Brown, Charlottesville, VA
'70 GT6+
'70 Ford Mustang GT

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Actually, thats 5 more weeks. I have been here since May, working on a missle defense project. I guess there are missles to be stationed here that are supposed to shoot down other missles in space.

As of today, I have worked 7 days a week minimum 12 hours per day without a day off since since Labor Day weekend, and will continue that way until December 18. I did have 2 weeks off in June, 2 weeks in August, and Labor Day weekend off. On the other hand, I hope to not work until May or June of next year. I don't intend to come back here to Delta, but we are bidding a number of other projects in the Alaskan interior, and in the arctic. I have spent lots of winters in the arctic, from oil field projects to water and sewer projects in eskimo villages. In these places, -20 f is a warm winter day, worthy of a Celebration.

There is a lot of work which can only be done in the winter.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's right - you're at Ft Greeley....do you know Hal Swanson?