• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Of Headers and Manifolds...

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
So, I've subscribed to a new forum due to the new wheels. However, I'm finding out as I read the forum that a large portion of the forum members that own the same car as I do are first time car owners, haven't been around cars for very long, or mod'ing cars for a very long time. This normally isn't a problem for me. I like to share my knowledge with all who will listen, and I like to absorb others knowledge when they want to share it.

So, for the past couple of weeks, I've been reading their forum posts about this after market item or that after market item, and making a couple of comments here and there.

So yesterday, I find a thread about an exhaust system. The poster (who is not a "vendor") called the exhaust system "header back". After seeing about 50 posts, another member and myself had to ask what the others meant by "header back". At that point, I got a couple of "lol... how can a car not have a header" responses, which prompted me to make a post explaining the difference between an exhaust manifold and a header.

I just couldn't take the "lol look at the newb" explanations without giving them a correctional, civilized, and educational response with regards to correct use of terminologies. Especially, when there's a good chance that I've been working on cars longer than some of them have been alive.

So... I decided to throw a poll up here to see if what ya'll think of the two terms...

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
d'oh! I guess I should have paid attention to the start time of the poll before I posted my thread! lol

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
heh... "What's a henwway?" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
IMHO - header back is referring to replacment of the exhaust after the exhaust manifold all the way back with a free flow system (and one of em M80 flufflers meebee sum neons).

Exhaust manifold = header = not replaced

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
My personal definition of a header would make that tough. You’d wind up missing about a foot or two of pipe. Hey Rob, you can always send them to Wikipedia, they have examples of each. manifold vs header

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Theoretically, I suppose they are the same, but I voted that they are distinct in how the terms are generally used. That doesn't mean that an OE style manifold can't be a header. The late TR4A's and I guess some of the TR6 manifolds from the factory could definetly be called a header due to their design. The same applies to my Miata. One look at that, and the average car guy would call it a header.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The factory MGB exhaust manifold when atached to the head pipe theoretically becomes a 'header'....

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Art said:
The same applies to my Miata. One look at that, and the average car guy would call it a header.

Same with 105 series Alfa manifolds. Cast iron but flow pretty well. Two seperate two-into-one castings.

I voted to keep 'em seperate also, but imagine a "header" can be considered a manifold (in the purest definition).

SteveL

Jedi Trainee
DrEntropy said:
Art said:
The same applies to my Miata. One look at that, and the average car guy would call it a header.

Same with 105 series Alfa manifolds. Cast iron but flow pretty well. Two seperate two-into-one castings.

I voted to keep 'em seperate also, but imagine a "header" can be considered a manifold (in the purest definition).

So what is an extractor??

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Blast-n-dam... Now we muddy th' water even MORE! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
SteveL said:
So what is an extractor??

WHOA! Flashback to my VW days!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
TR6BILL is an "extractor" with regularity, I'm sure. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

...as is that "Grabit" thingie th' TeeVee says will be the best twenty bucks I ever put in my toolbox...

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
off on a tangent, but I'll add that a lot of "car" forums are full of guys who seem to delight in making fun of other guys. And they don't seem to know much about their cars, fer shure fer shure.

T.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Much unlike us, here. WE make fun of our "other guys" (mostly eachother) all-a time and know a LOT about our cars. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

...wouldn't change it for th' world. I love you guys! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
GB1 said:
IMHO - header back is referring to replacment of the exhaust after the exhaust manifold all the way back with a free flow system (and one of em M80 flufflers meebee sum neons).

Thing is, if I were to go to Moss Motors and order the Pico "header back" exhaust system I would not expect it to bolt up to the stock manifold. I would expect to have to create my own down pipe, or install a header to make it fit.

Where if I got one of the 'manifold back' systems I would expect it to bolt right up to the stock manifold.

doc... what's with all this love stuff you're talking about... someone put something in your water of summfin? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Doc - get your hands of off me /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I have a younger friend who has a modified 944t, and calls the stock manifold a header (think it is a younger thing ~ sounds cooler) even if it is incorrect in my book.

Yes it is true alot of great friends here /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
GB1 said:
I have a younger friend who has a modified 944t, and calls the stock manifold a header (think it is a younger thing ~ sounds cooler) even if it is incorrect in my book.
I think you're on to something there... The first time I encountered some one trying to talk to me about exhausts they were calling my MGB exhaust manifold a header too, and they were 'younger' as well. He wasn't really a 'car guy' so I chalked it up to him not knowing the diff...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nunyas said:
GB1 said:

Thing is, if I were to go to Moss Motors and order the Pico "header back" exhaust system I would not expect it to bolt up to the stock manifold. I would expect to have to create my own down pipe, or install a header to make it fit.

Where if I got one of the 'manifold back' systems I would expect it to bolt right up to the stock manifold.

doc... what's with all this love stuff you're talking about... someone put something in your water of summfin? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif
I have a new Peco header in inventory along with a couple of very goud used 3-into-1 headers; plus several OE manifolds.