• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

One Less Alpine...now

G

Sad to report on Sept 25th (my birthday) that my '67 Alpine was totaled on the 405 in Orange County. My rear-end (the car's) froze and I spun out of control.

I'm ok, so are the people that hit me. After spinning across 2 lanes only one car hit me, I didn't hit anyone - amazing!

I went to my son's school's open house tonight, he had drawn a picture of us together in the Alpine, that's when I really got sad.

Cheers everyone.....what's next for me?!?!?!
violin.gif

[ 09-26-2003: Message edited by: OCJames ]

[ 09-26-2003: Message edited by: OCJames ]</p>

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Oh man, James, that really SUX! But glad you and son are ok - metal can be replaced! Well, now you need to start looking for another Sunbeamer! (Maybe a Tiger?)

Basil

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
James:

I'm glad that no one was injured (or worse). Even the most exotic car can be replaced...a life is irreplaceable.
This may the time to bring our that tired, old cliche: "Every misfortune is an opportunity!"
Think about your *next* LBC.....what models you prefer, whether it's a Sunbeam or whatever. Go to car shows where there are LBCs and look over the various brands. Try to decide what you'd like and can afford. Perhaps you'd like a car that's "done" or maybe a "fixer-upper" ("fixer-upper" suggestion: lean towards a car with a good body and bad mechanicals).
The only LBC I ever totalled was a lowly Plymouth Cricket, and I was even sad to lose that car (the Cricket was based on a Rootes Sunbeam).
Hang in there, and let us know how your "quest" is going!

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your car as well...

Just last weekend one of our club members was on the way to British Car Day (in Ontario) with his MGB GT, not far from his home in Michigan he had an encounter with a Ford Explorer, I'm not sure if his car is rebuildable or not, but thankfully he was fine with only minor injuries. I was wondering all day why he didn't make it to the show when he told he was planning on making it.

And I concur with you Steve, human life is far more valuable than a piece of metal (although old British cars are special pieces of metal... at least above club member wasn't driving his much rarer 1958 Morris Oxford wagon, that would have been a real shame)

healeygal

Jedi Warrior
Sorry to hear about your car - it had a nice patina to it. You're truly fortunate you weren't injured or worse. I'm not fond or freeway driving at all! Hope you find a replacement soon.

OP
G

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement.

For those interested my insurance company, State Farm, has decided to give me $5,200 for my well worn '67 with a new engine. This car had no top!

Regards.......james

[ 10-12-2003: Message edited by: OCJames ]</p>

61Alpine

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I am interested in knowing how a rearend locks up. I have not seen this happen and would like to know what I can do to prevent it from happening to me.
Thanks,

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 61Alpine:
<snip> I am interested in knowing how a rearend locks up....and would like to know what I can do to prevent it from happening to me.
Thanks,
<hr></blockquote>

Well, ...naw, too easy. Besides, I'd be dangerously close to violating my own policy
angel.gif

Basil

[ 10-17-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

OP
G

I'll post the accident analysis report when I get it. My insurance company is bearing the cost of the analysis so that I won't be considered at fault, but rather a mechanical default.

In my opinion the rear wheel bearing siezed....and without warning. No 3rd member oil leaks either.

We'll see.....james

[ 10-17-2003: Message edited by: OCJames ]</p>

MikeP

Jedi Knight
My money would be on the ring bolts. They have a tendency to work loose due to poor material quality. We've seen those that were loose enough to come out by hand and those that were completely broken off.

OP
G

MikeP is the winner! Twas the ring bolt!
I was declared 'not at fault' by State Farm Ins.

Nonetheless, I'm parting my dear '67 Alpine out on EBay as I just bought a shiny BMW convertible!

Perhaps I defected, but the wife laid down the law on old cars, I think I found a nice compromise, and my 7 y/o likes it too! I've already promised it to him when he is of age.
Now I've got something to hold over his head for 9 years!
wink.gif

Well, I'm signing off, been fun, wish you all luck! Maybe I'll see you on EBay....lot's of new parts! Cheers....OCJames

driving.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by OCJames:
just bought a shiny BMW convertible!

<hr></blockquote>

Drats! Another one over to "the dark side".
Best of luck with your Bimmer.