• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Castro is resigning!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
A

aerog

More in-depth article (English) here.

What's with the Adidas jacket he's been wearing instead of the usually green stuff?

T

Tinster

It's about time. My mom used to make us drink some Castro
oil twice a year to purge our systems.

Nasty tasting stuff that Castro oil ! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Does this mean I can finally go fishing in Cuba?
(legally, that is?)

d

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
From this morning's announcements, it looks like brother Raul will continue as president. He detests giving speeches, contrasting Fidel's multi-hour oratory, so the Cuban population is glad for that bit. Raul, however, will concentrate on economic change, not political change.

But imagine waking up this morning to learn that the only head of government you've ever known has announced, during the night while you were sleeping, "I'm leaving". Other than monarchs, he's been at the top longer than any other head of state.

And I also remember the bomb shelters that were on display for sale along University Drive in Fort Worth, when I was a kid back in the early 1960s.

Times, and dictators, change.

Tom

V

vagt6

The free world should be profoundly glad Castro is stepping down. It's the first step to a "Cuba libre" and a big one, even if it's essentially symbolic.

And, there's a very good reason why the Cubans are celebrating in the streets.

I had a Spanish professor in college, Dr. Giordano Casas, who escaped Cuba in '60 just after the deposition of Batista. Dr. Casas's brother, a physician, was imprisoned (they were political activists) and killed, as were countless thousands of Cuban patriots who opposed the communist dictatorship in it's early stages.

Dr. Casas spoke firsthand of the endless litany of atrocities committed by Castro's bloody regime: murder; the abduction and torture of innocents, brutal repression of the slightest opposition. Most Amercians have no idea how horrible it was.

The Cuban people are resourceful and hard working. Maybe soon the door to democracy will open. When that day comes, I hope our country embraces Cuba fully.

A big step for Cuba! I hope it continues.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Are there any Cubans or decendants or Cubans here on the BCF?

swift6

Yoda
aerog said:
What's with the Adidas jacket he's been wearing instead of the usually green stuff?

He's planning on retiring to Florida... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
In the world of dictators, there is little to be joyful about. Look what happened when Stalin replaced Lenin. If brother Raul does not have complete control, it could get messy. And then there is the Chavez factor....

Bret

Yoda
Ah this really breaks my heart. Too bad for ol’ Fidel to go out with a whimper.

The nostalgic cold war warrior part of me was really hoping that his illustrious dictatorship would’ve been ended with more of a bang! - like say a 150gr FMJ match grade bullet from something like 800-1000meters.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Oh well, there’s always his Brother I guess. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'd love to have comeback statements and comments to all the hate I see, with some of the good that Cuba as a country provides to it's people. Out of respect to this forum, I will keep my opinions to myself.

T

Tinster

swift6 He's planning on retiring to Florida... [img said:
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif[/img]

I know numerous Cubanos living in Florida and particularly
in Miami. My friend Carlos spent 5 years in a forced labor
camp before he escaped the Castro regime.

I don't believe Sr Castro would receive a very warm welcome
from the Cubano exile community in Florida!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonono.gif

He'd be SOS (shot on sight) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif

d

A

aerog

TR6oldtimer said:
And then there is the Chavez factor....

That's my worry. Bad to worse in a hurry. I have a lot of Venezuelan friends, they've been doing everything they can to get everyone they know out of that place

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Folks, this is news, but do we need to comment further?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, all I know is I want to be on the first plane that lands when its legal to travel between the 2 countries...with lots of cash & an 18-wheel car hauler following me on a boat from Florida...I want to buy as many of those old cars as I can grab...& not just British either!

T

Tinster

tony barnhill said:
Well, all I know is ...I want to buy as many of those old cars as I can grab...& not just British either!

Ya mean like one of these 'cee-gar' smokin' oldies?

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winner1.gif

caddie.jpg

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
It's amazing what the Cuban people have to go through to keep those things going. It's not like they can go down to Napa and pick up some repair parts. I few years back I knew of guy in Cuba with an MG and he needed a manifold. He wound up casting it himself. Goes to show you if you have a need an a desire, you'll find a way to get things done. Wish I kne what site that was from. I'd like to read up on the details of it again and make sure I'm correct.

Bret

Yoda
vping said:
I'd love to have comeback statements and comments to all the hate I see, with some of the good that Cuba as a country provides to it's people. Out of respect to this forum, I will keep my opinions to myself.
Wow? Sorry you feel that way.

But truthfully I didn’t read one negative comment posted thus far that could be remotely perceived as “Hateful” towards the Cuban people.

Heck! Castro was(is) a dictator of the worst order and that is where my hatred is focused not the Cuban people.

Truthfully I’m with many hear who’ve expressed a desire to visit that country at some time in the future. That said I’m a realist and won’t be holding my breath, because I seriously doubt little brother Raul (who’s been Fidel’s right hand man from day one), is going to handle that country like Mother Teresa.