• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Grand Canyon?

G

My sig other and I are planning a trip to the GC. Any advice?

We're planning on going midsummer so I'm focusing on the north rim and surrounding area.

So far I'm thinking we'll fly into vegas, take a heli/bus tour, drive to the north rim and stay there a couple of nights, go to zion and bryce and maybe lake powell.

Does anyone know what the roads are like? I'm thing about renting a Miata - Hertz Fun Collection. But I'm wondering if any of the roads are sports car friendly. If not I'll opt for something more travel friendly (larger).

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The main comment I could make about seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time is, it takes your breath away! Since the wife and I have been there a few times over the years, when someone asks us where should they go first when heading West, we tell them to start in one of two places, the Grand Canyon or Carlsbad Caverns, which ever is closer. From there just point and go. The roads around the Grand Canyon and the national park areas are great for open car touring. To see Zion in an open car is the way to go! We toured it in an open Jeep. Your trip sounds very inviting. Enjoy!

Country flag
A most impressive hole in the ground!

I really liked Bryce Canyon too; well worth the effort...

Thorshammerwclouds_1.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
JamesWilson said:

Thorshammerwclouds_1.jpg

To be perfectly honest, there isn't a national park in the US and Canada that doesn't impress me. Their all unique in their own way and beautiful to look at.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's a really nice area in general. I camped at the North Rim once over Easter weekend before the season was open. Had the campground to myself. Fantastic.

Good roads all over that area. I'm more familiar with the Utah part of it, some of my best days on a motorcycle have been spent down in that area.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Allen:
I have been to both North and South rims, the South rim is a little more Viewer friendly {More Viewing areas}. In either case the views are spectacular to say the least. The roads are good for Almost any car, however, you could find snow this time of year. If you plan to stay overnight, accomodation reservations are a MUST DO especialy in the summer months.
In Southern Utah there are so many parks it would take you weeks to get them all in. Your best bet there is to research them on the net and decide which you really want to see most. Normaly the roads in and out of the Utah parks are good, however, again you could find snow this time of year. The same applies to summer months if you plan to stay over anywhere in the parks, accomodation reservations are a MUST DO.
You will love it here, you may not want to go home
Kerry

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
AweMan said:
You will love it here, you may not want to go home
Too true -- it's the main reason I'm still here some 14 years later... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
This is on my list of places to see.

OP
G

Wow - thanks for all the responses. I knew some of the members were from that part of the country but didn't think I'd get such a good response.

Are there any particularly tight and twisty scenic routes I could include in my plans?

We'll probably be out for about 10 days in early July - my gf is a school teacher (for about 25 years) so we have to go in mid summer. I'm not really interested in vegas but I guess that's the best place to fly in and out of.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Down that way, Rt 12 between Bryce Canyon NP and Capitol Reef NP is one of the best drives (or rides for the motorcycle crowd) that I've ever done. May be a bit out of your way, but it's a good'un. I also seem to remember that the road into the North Rim is quite nice as well.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
check out This web page for G.C. North Rim points of intrest,
As well as some of the nearby Utah National parks.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
PAUL161 said:
JamesWilson said:

Thorshammerwclouds_1.jpg

To be perfectly honest, there isn't a national park in the US and Canada that doesn't impress me. Their all unique in their own way and beautiful to look at.

Or how about one that is in both US and Canada? Glacier National Park Montana! (I can't recall if the Canada PArt is called Glacier or has a different name?)

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Allen_M said:
My sig other and I are planning a trip to the GC. Any advice?(larger).

Stay away from the edge /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Basil said:
PAUL161 said:
JamesWilson said:

Thorshammerwclouds_1.jpg

Or how about one that is in both US and Canada? Glacier National Park Montana! (I can't recall if the Canada PArt is called Glacier or has a different name?)

Supposedly it's proper name is Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada, but some call it Glacier National Park of Canada. Even though they are managed by separate countries, they cooperate to manage their natural and cultural resources.