• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The Red Car Painting

sideache

Jedi Knight
I have been invited to exhibit in an international show of automotive artists. Since they don't accept digital work, I broke out the oils again. I decided to do the first painting for the show based on The Red Car. The show takes place this Summer in Minnesota but the work needs to be done by March 1st for catalog.

The-Red-Car.jpg

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Fantastic work!

Drool.

VERY nice.

I am envious of your artistic talents!

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Cliff
That is great! And it brings back good memories of the book that started me liking these LBC's.
Bill

OP
sideache

sideache

Jedi Knight
Thanks gang!

I have a question. I haven't added the tape on the lights yet - would the tape be black, white or gray?

Also, the book says that they taped numbers to the doors, back and front of the cars - would it be on top of the bonnet or on the grill slats - I have seen old pics of both?

Country flag
Cliff, I owned art galleries in the DC and Annapolis area for over 20 years, and represented quite a few pretty good artists. Even though I've been out of the business for over ten years, I still know good art when I see it. I've been admiring your work for quite a while, due to the Forum, and I just wanted to say nice job on the oil.

Larry

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
sideache said:
Thanks gang!

I have a question. I haven't added the tape on the lights yet - would the tape be black, white or gray?

Also, the book says that they taped numbers to the doors, back and front of the cars - would it be on top of the bonnet or on the grill slats - I have seen old pics of both?

White adhesive tape! Hap (main character in the story) got it from the hospital or the drug store. Same for the numbers, probably on top of the bonnet.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Beautiful - what size & for how much will it sell?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Oh, and I like how you've got the red TC in front of Arata driving Art's black TD! Great stuff!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Coming here late to this, but...

Great work! Most of your other stuff is the basis for the screen-saver on my computer at work. I get lots of positive comments on your art. I wish I had your patience and skill.

Funny, but I just ordered a new copy of <u>The Red Car</u> from Amazon last week. I can't find my old copy.

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Your question about that tape reminds me of something I started doing last year as a joke.
I started putting tape over the fake, plastic headlights on my ~Vintage Racer~.
I've gotten a few laughs over it. </span>

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Cliff - have you ever thought of doing a print of a pair of MGA's - coupe & roadster - in Old English White? Maybe behind a group of people having a picnic or something?

Steve_S

Yoda
Very nice, Cliff! It's interesting to see someone else's visual interpretation of the book. I picture it differently, but the same spirit is in both of our visions. Unfortunately I do not possess the talent to put my vision on canvas or any other viewable media.

By the way, I would love to add the completed work to my web site along with all your other MG-related art. (LINK)

For inspiration on racing numbers, browse through this site: https://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/

Also see historical MG photos including racing shots here: https://www.mgnuts.com/historicaltseries