• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's the Alpine like?

huck6

Jedi Trainee
I am planning on getting an LBC in the next year and so far have leaned (heavily) towards a classic mini. But, recently I have discoved the Sunbeam Alpine and I am taken by its flare and comparitive rarity. Also, I have seen several at very reasonable prices.

So, please let me know your thoughts on this car. I know it is not a screamer like its big brother, but my favorite mini is the Mark 1 with the 850 engine, so speed is obviously not my thing. I'm looking for a Sunday driver (with an occassional short commute to work as a treat).

BTW - I am 6'3 and @ 200 lbs, so will I even fit? My guess is yes, but I have never tried one on.

Thanks for your responses.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not a bad choice at all. Good seating space, lots of seat travel. Full instrumentation. Roll-up windows. Relatively softly sprung. Parts still available although not as common as MGB. Draw backs are the horsepower output and the little bitty wheels. Sold a rust free example a couple years ago as it needed serious motor work. Has since been restored to show quality!!!! Made a mistake on that one. Good luck, Bob

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
I like em.. They have always had great curb appeal. There is lot's of room for alternate motors if you want more jam, but these days leisurely cruising is best for your wallet and licence.

impster

You can't go wrong with an Alpine. You have already mentioned the low points (horsepower and parts availability). Buy a solid car which, as you noted, are relatively inexpensive and you won't have to worry about finding the few obscure parts. Sunbeam Specialties is a great source for most of your parts needs. And of course, join one of the Sunbeam organizations.

I've had several Alpines over the years but am currently without. And this time every year, when the weather starts to get warm, I regret having sold my last one. There is nothing quite like cruising with the top down in a car that you don't see at every stop light.

Tony Fontaine

61 Sunbeam Rapier convertible
74 BMW 2002
76 Jaguar XJ6C

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
I love the Alpine.We have had Sunbeams since 1963.How's that for along lasting relationship? Appeal is getting stronger .Like it was said, you don't see many but so many know some one who had one and they are sorry they let it go.
Even if you do spend money to restore one or buy one all ready done, you will be entering a wonderful fraternity of the Sunbeam world.
I live in Winnipeg and even though I'm far iHave met and made so many wonderful friends over the years.
canpatriot.gif

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
Yes, you will fit. I am of similar size, and fit comfortably into mine. The telescoping wheel eases entry and exit. There is plenty of headroom (though my only experience is with my removable hardtop, I'm assuming that the headroom with a convertible top would be similar).

Ray Greene

Freshman Member
I bought a 67 Alpine in 1969 for $1000. It only had 700 miles on it and was like new. The owner sold it to me because it wasent running well,(it had a cracked distributor cap!) They are a terrific little car, not the quickest but 4 speed synchro's, tight soft top, and very snappy looking. I fell madly in love with a curvaceous waitress and sold her the car for the same $1000. I havent seen the car or her since, I still miss the Alpine! regards, Ray
violin.gif

OP
huck6

huck6

Jedi Trainee
Maybe she didn't like your friend Lucas?!
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif