• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Out and running

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
It seems that we sunbeamers aren't saying much so I thought I would add something.
I have had the Lister out and tring out my completely reengineered front end.I just wasn't happy with the original with the Mustang rack added.It seemed heavy and of course had the Tiger ackerman angles.What a pleasant driving car it has turned out to be.Steering is now relaxing.I had to get used to the now extra braking because there is about 50% more brake pad area and with the servo at near perfection it is so easy to even panic stop.
I have gone to the tubular aftermarket Mustang suspension compotents as well as modifying the crossmember to have a Mustang rack almost in Harmony with the steering arms.
I must give credit to Macgyvers of Lloydminster,Alberta which did the mounting of the upper and lower a arms. This is a quality shop and for you yanks the prices would be great.The rest was done by myself.
Spring came early to Winnipeg this year and we have 300 plus miles to date.Not bad when you consider it is usually mid may before cars start to come out around here.
There will soon be an article in the Tigers East/Alpines East news letter which will be the first to publish it.
Lets hear about your first spring drive and what you have done over this past winter to your cars .
canpatriot.gif
and lets drive them

Tiger

Jedi Warrior
I've had my Tiger out a couple of times, but keeping it local. This past Saturday, I took it to a Miata club event; 19 Miatas and one Tiger. Oops!
jester.gif

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Had my wife out in the Lotus for the first time. I've tamed the car quite a bit since it first fired up, so now it's at least somewhat socially acceptable. It was great fun, with people smiling, honking and waving, and kids all over yelling " nice car ". Makes you feel like a movie star..

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
I am in the midst of replacing interior trim panels for the rear passenger section of the Alpine. Apparently, these originally were made out of cardboard, wrapped in vinyl. I am making templates out of newspaper, tracing this onto masonite, cutting with a jig saw, then putting on foam and covering in black vinyl. Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

OP
T

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Be sure that if your top covers are the metal with the pull down back panel you have enough space at the rear edge of the side panels.It would only be at the extreme rear edge of the panel as they do angle away from the back to the front.Are you able to get 1/8th" masonite?This is good for all panel replacemement.Be sure to seal the masonite with a good primer sealer after cutting.This will prevent warpage from moisture.i did mine by this method also.

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the help! My Alpine has the removable hardtop only, so there is no top cover. Do you have a brand of primer/sealer that you recommend? Would Kilz work? Yes, I'm using 1/8" masonite.

G

Yes, Summer is beckoning, well if only in my mind.

I've managed a few small trips in my Alpine, running (pretty mmuch) after a 2.5 year nap.

It's turns heads & people point (maybe that's my windblown hair?). It brings the conversation out in people, and in Calif - that's quite an accomplishment!

Got a few quirks to iron out, but it's a joy to drive and I'm glad I never listened to the wife!

Drive on!
savewave.gif

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
Had both my Sunbeams out at the weekend. I refitted the engine to the Imp only to discover I'd run out of coolant.

Since I had to go out and buy some it seemed a good excuse to blow the cobwebs out of the Alpine.

I exited the shop to find a grim-faced policeman standing next to my Alpine. Oh ****, what have I done now. Turned out he was just admiring it. Whew!

Then it was the turn of the Imp for a run. It's been off the road for four months due to waiting on parts to come from overseas, then finding problems with the parts, then waiting for replacements to arrive.

It soon came back to me why Imps are so great. The roundabouts, the corners, the slackjawed stares.....

Yep, it was a pretty good weekend for me.
grin.gif

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
another
canpatriot.gif
here. I'll probably have the car running by next weekend hopefully. After that I need to find some tires and insurance.