• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Miata Seats for a TR3

Earl

Folks,
The seats in my 61TR3A are from a TR4, in bad shape and uncomfortable. I've been told I can, without body modificatioins install seats from a Miata. First is this true, and has anyone really done this? Next, will they lay flat enough for me to use my tonnau? Last, are there any restrictions on the Miata year ranges that will apply.
Thanks for your help, and please bring back the warm weather
Earl

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Earl - my understanding is that modifications where needed to mount Miata seats in the TR3, but they fit OK in a TR4 / TR6 more easily.

I'd get a second and third opinion. I'm sure others will jump in here soon.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Opinion is all I have to offer here but you might mess with Photoshop or whatever to get an idea what seats with headrests will look like in a roadster with cut-down doors.

To my eye that set-up looks more or less normal on a TR6, only slightly odd on a TR4 but out-of-place amid the classic lines of the TR3.

Just my $.02 worth, it is your car and likely the Miata seats are more comfortable, less expensive and possibly even safer.

D

DougF

My guess would be that you would have to recline the seats back as far as possible to to get them to fit under the tonneau. Depending on how much you use the cover, it could become a real pain.

OP
Earl

Earl

Thanks guys, your right about the look, it has me concerned also. If anyone has a photo of a completed conversion I would appreciate the posting. My only reference are TRs I've seen at vintage competitions, and I was not completely turned off by the "look". And I do agree they would be safer. The tonnou is the only top/cover I use. "If it's raining the car stays home".
Thanks
Earl

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I agree with Geo on the longer headrest seats in a TR3, looks unbalanced to me.
I've an early 56 three with original rebuilt seats and they are very comfortable. I've never sat the later 3 seats but the early seat back does provide good support ( not over stuffed) as it is concave and the bottom cushion, when rebuilt, can be made to any level of firmness.
I've driven for hours without any fatigue.

V

vagt6

I installed Miata seats in a GT6 and they rendered my seating position too high, so I removed them. I suspect that you may find the same for your TR. Depends on your height & body size.

The stock seats can be made very comfy with modern materials (not standard foams). And most importantly, they're original to the car.

Let us know . . .

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree the Miata seats look out of place in a sidescreen TR. But I still suffer from the whiplash injury I got almost 20 years ago, when someone just barely tapped my TR3A from behind. Damage to the car was minor, just a crushed bumperette and a ding where the bumper hit the body; but I still have to sleep on a rolled-up towel and visit the chiropractor from time to time.

OTOH I wasn't hurt at all when the same car got totaled a few years ago now, so YMMV. But the 'project' TR3 will definitely be getting headrest seats, no matter how odd they look.

My plan is to simply add headrest pockets to the tonneau cover, ala later TR6.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Some modern seats have headrests on 2 posts that allow them to be easily pulled out & stowed (my VW and my wife's Toyota are like this). If there was such a seat that would work in a TR3 then that would add a step but allow the use of the stock tonneau.

The point on 'sitting too high' is also a concern with the TR3 as that huge steering wheel leaves you with limited leg room between the steering and the seat. That gap can be a problem for big guys even when using the stock seat & wheel.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
We knocked around the idea of neck support when we were rebuilding my TR3. I agree that the look is subtlely awkward with a high back seat.

One thing we thought about was to install a roll bar and somehow build some kind of neck support into that.

As it ended up, I'm just running the original seats with no roll bar. But thought I would share the idea.

Eric

Jedi Warrior
vagt6 said:
I installed Miata seats in a GT6 and they rendered my seating position too high, so I removed them. I suspect that you may find the same for your TR. Depends on your height & body size.

I'm not surprised you found this. (I had a Mk III GT6 prior to my Miata) Many Miata drivers (including me) find it difficult to get a low enough seating position to get their heads under a roll bar. If anyone does decide to go with Miata seats, there is an easy modification to gain more headroom. https://www.miata.net/garage/headroom.html I've done this to mine and love the results. I find the seats much more comfortable, and I now sit in the seats rather than on them. The aesthetics of the modern seat in a classic are more a matter of personal taste.

V

vagt6

Eric, I tried that same foam cutting technique for my '70 GT6+ as described in the link you provided: it didn't produce the desired results for me. Furthermore, I removed the seat rails, welded on a "foot" at each seat corner and bolted the Miata seat (driver's side only) directly to the floor pan. The resulting loss of seated height was not enough to satisfy me, so took them out.

I was really disappointed, went to a fair amount of trouble to purchase & install nice Miata seats with speakers in the head rests!

Others who are near 6'2" or so, or large (i.e., wide) folks may not like the Miata seat conversion for these stated reasons. However, my wife (5'6") LOVED the Miata seats! But a concours judge, she is not. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

In addition to the increased Miata seat's height in a Spit/GT6, the seat is also <u>wider</u>. This extra width in the relatively miniscule GT6 cockpit caused my thigh/knee area to squish against the gearbox tunnel. After about a half hour or so this became quite uncomfortable. It also tweaked my right foot at a strange angle on the accelerator pedal, not comfy.

Due to the small GT6/Spit cockpit, it's very difficult to find any seat that fits as well as the stock seats. So, buyer beware. If you're tall or large, think carefully before trying this mod.

IMHO, the Miata seats simply don't look right in any LBC. Others feel differently, of course. Again, careful rebuilding of the stock seats, using modern padding materials (not foam, but firmer stuff like they use in mattresses) makes them very comfy. And of course, they are correct for the car!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mark, Will be in DC next week. Have em boxed up and ready to go.

Eric

Jedi Warrior
Mark, your comments are right on the money. Miata owners have a great deal of trouble finding other seats that will fit, and the Spit/GT6 is significantly narrower. I suspect you're right that properly rebuilt seats will be just as/more comfortable given the space requirements.

For tall people (I'm only 6', but this applies to me too) the Miata seat won't address the headrest safety issue - they're too short. The 99-2005 Miata seats are a little taller, but not enough to make much of a difference for most North American sized people.