• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pedals: fore and aft distance

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I've not noticed before, but the accelerator pedal on my TR6 is well in front of the brake pedal. I mean that the accelerator pedal is several inches fore of the brake pedal. That's not correct, is it? It looks weird!

T

Tinster

Julian:

I am thinking the pedal height must be correct
since mine also sits several inches above the brake pedal.

I recently installed the Ratco cable linkage system.
I started with the carbs on full open and locked down
the cable and gas pedal/throttle shaft.

The result was the gas pedal at idle being several inches
above the brake pedal. I'm still not quite used to the
pedal at that awkward height off the floor.

d

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Tinster said:
Julian:

I am thinking the pedal height must be correct
since mine also sits several inches above the brake pedal.

I recently installed the Ratco cable linkage system.
I started with the carbs on full open and locked down
the cable and gas pedal/throttle shaft.

The result was the gas pedal at idle being several inches
above the brake pedal. I'm still not quite used to the
pedal at that awkward height off the floor.

d

Hi Dale,

I think mine is the other way around: gas pedal is lower than brake. Here's a photo:

2261234477_268ea79fcb.jpg

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Julian,

I thought the gas was lower, but I went out and measured mine (about 7-8 inches off the floor board) but they are all about the same distance off the floor board (where it bottoms out when pushed).

It's hard to see in the picture, but they are pretty close to the same height on my 1974 TR6.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
That's great, Tex: thanks for the photo.

Question: what is the pipe/wire that is passing through the firewall just above and to the right of your gas pedal? You can see on mine that I have an empty hole there!

T

Tinster

Julian:

Here is a photo of my mine after I adjusted it for the
Ratco cable linkage. You can see the pedal is now quite
high off the floor at 9.5"

I have a tachometer cable running thru the firewall near
my gas pedal. I know little about these cars but the tach
cable fit thru the hole in my firewall; so there is where
I installed it. It works just fine.

The very high gas pedal is difficult to drive from a stop.
I am thinking about bringing it back down but that also
bring down my maximum rpms.

regards,

dale

gas-pedal2.jpg

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Julian:

On a stock setup, you should be able to adjust the "control lever" on the other side of the pedal cross shaft. It is item 23 in this drawing from Moss:

Moss Drawing

You should be able to remove and reposition (rotate) this item on the pedal shaft to adjust your pedal height.

Dale:

I don't remember how your new throttle cable assembly works, but if you still have this piece, this fix may work for you as well.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Matt

T

Tinster

Matt,

Yes I am able to adjust the position of the gas pedal on
the throttle shaft. In the present awkward configuration,
the carbs will be full open with pedal fully depressed to
the floor.

I can easily adjust the pedal in line with the other
two pedals but I will drastically reduce my rpm capabilty
since the carbs will only partially open.

I am thinking about lowering the pedal maybe an inch or so
and thus reducing my carb capabilty. I never take the
engine over 35oo rpms because of the thrust washer issue.
So I really don't need the full capability of the carbs.

I am just happy my TR6 is finally operational.

best,

dale

R

RonMacPherson

Yo cuz,

FIX IT!..

The pedal should be close to the pedal height,(close being usually slightly lower than the brake pedal when the pedal is applied) reason is the ol' heel and toe shifting, so you could roll the side of your foot onto the gas pedal to "blip" the gas for trans shaft speed consistency when downshifting. Plus it sure sounds nice when you blip the throttle when downshifting.

The splines on the cross over shaft are your adjustment in the lever on the passenger side firewall.

Work on getting full throttle FROM THAT POINT FORWARD. You should very easily be able to adjust in full throttle(and full closed throttle) by any linkage, cable setup-whatever, from that point forward.....

Then the car will be soooooo much nicer to driver...

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
The tach cable! Ah ha! This solves a problem I have with my tach cable, which is routed through a hole behind the dash, just above the steering column: the cable is rubbing on the steering column on its way to the distributor. I will now reposition it so that it passes through the hole yours does.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Dale....
I think you have a different problem, if you have the pedal set more to "stock" height you won't get wide open throttle (WOT) because something in your linkage (not sure what setup you have) needs adjustment. For a given amount of movement at the pedal end; you need to adjust to get more movement at the carb end; you may have to relook at how that cable hooks up to the carbs or at the x-shaft.