• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Kingpin Q?

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
I picked up a set of rebuilt swivel axles and I've noticed the upper piece that holds the bushings is miss aligned on the king pin. Since I've never pulled one apart is there any thing to watch for? Also what the torque spec for reassembling. I was dumb and left both of my mgb manuals in the B and its 40 miles up the road in a shed that's buried in snow.

Thanks

Steve_S

Yoda
The top piece can be rotated. I don't remember the torque off hand for the top nut but if no one else chimes in soon then I'll look it up.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I can find no specific mention of torque values, would think 45~50 ft/lb sufficient. The "freeplay" (vertical) is stated as: "not to exceed 0.002" though.

HTH

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
65 wouldn't be outta the question, that was a WAG. I was considering the fine threads and the pin as backup. Once tightened, it wouldn't be likely to move.

OP
Stewart

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Ok got it realigned. Had to break out the impact gun to get the nut off. With the nut off the stub axle is nice and free to rotate on the kingpin but when the nut is tightened up without the impact gun the axle becomes hard to move with out gaining some leverage. Is this normal or should I be worried?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sounds like a shim is needed.

dsltek432

Freshman Member
If I remember correctly, you need to decrease the thickness of the shims. The kingpin should rotate freely with virtually no up-down play when the nut is tightened.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
I can find no specific mention of torque values, would think 45~50 ft/lb sufficient. The "freeplay" (vertical) is stated as: "not to exceed 0.002" though.

HTH