• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's on your workbench?

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'm in all my glory because I finally have a real workbench. I was curious to see how all of you have yours set up and what's on it that allows you to do what you do.

Here is mine about 5 minutes ago when I installed the 1/8" Masonite. Still have more to do but it's a start.

02-10-08-WorkBench.jpg

umm...thats wayy to clean...

mark

T

Tinster

WoW!! So THAT's what a REAL workbench looks like??!!

Mine is a four burner glass stovetop, surrounded by a green
marble countertop with a maple cutting board next to the stove burners.

d

Steve_S

Yoda
I have two work benches. This is the one where I do most of my work. It's constantly changing because I don't have a lot of space, so I put whatever tools I need at the time there. I'm getting ready to do some trim fitting so the sander is set up.

bench.jpg

Steve_S

Yoda
The dirty ones are always the most interesting. Nothing much to look at in my garage other than the cars and a few parts on the floor. The really neat garages are the ones with 60 years of crap hanging all over the place.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
I would show you pics of mine but i can't find it under all the junk(eh, parts and tools) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
That's just wrong Steve. At least you could have left a smear of something on it or a dirty tissue or a washer out of place.

Love the outlet center there steve.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I was wonderring that myself. What is it for Steve? Do you actually plug that many things in at the same time?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Steve_S said:
The dirty ones are always the most interesting. Nothing much to look at in my garage other than the cars and a few parts on the floor. The really neat garages are the ones with 60 years of crap hanging all over the place.

Mine's PERFECT then. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Come on Doc, snap a pic.

Steve_S

Yoda
Someone posted a photo of a section of their garage once. I remember we spent days pointing out interesting things in it.

The outlet panel on the workbench is actually non-op right now. I built it years ago to control a huge aquarium, but just before I finished the project the aquarium was sold. It's all top-grade stuff, stainless hardware, custom machined 1/4" aluminum case, powder coated, etc. I must have spent 4-500 bucks on that thing. All it needs is a couple more wires inside and a power cord. But alas, I still have no use for it.

Anybody want to work a trade? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
ya don't wanna see mine.... Course from what I've read, some of ya would think it "perfect"
I Dunno....

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif I am saving the photo of your workbench so I can show husband, Doug, what a 'real' workbench looks like. I'll bet the female in your house can actually find a screwdriver, hammer or other necessary tool. As Doug is away for 8 days every other week, it has been necessary for me to use some of 'his' tools. Like when the hot water heater sprouted a leak and it was necessary for me to shut the water off and I needed a pipe wrench because the shut-offs had never been turned in the 10 years that our home was built. It's amazing what you can do when you have to. I even found the right plumber - I think I just got lucky.

So again /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif

By the way do you mind if I tell my husband who showed me what a proper workbench is supposed to be like???

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Here is my poor excuse of a work bench - still using peg board! Uggg! One of these days I'm going to put in proper cabinets. (Follow link and click the middle image)

My Work Bench

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/angel.gif Can I send Doug over to your house too? Maybe you can give him one-on-one pointers.

Steve_S

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] I even found the right plumber - I think I just got lucky.[/QUOTE]
My goodness!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

My wife does appreciate the cleanliness of the garage. It's nice to be able to walk out there in your socks, and return to the house still with clean feet. The organization helps me as much as her. The less time I spend tripping over things and looking for parts or tools, the more time I can spend getting a job done.

As for what a "real" work bench is, that's subject to interpretation. The #1 priority is for it to be functional. Clean is important for some jobs but not others. I'm a bit of a neat freak so it's rare that you find any kind of mess left in my garage after a day's work. Sometimes I'll spend 30 minutes cleaning the garage BEFORE a job. I like to start clean so I can stay clean. That way these is less time spent cleaning myself and the garage after the job, when I'm tired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]By the way do you mind if I tell my husband who showed me what a proper workbench is supposed to be like???[/QUOTE]
Be my guest! I never finished the page, but you can see some of the rest of the place here: https://www.mgnuts.com/garage

Steve_S

Yoda
Basil, that looks very clean and organized to me. Lots of work space, too! I must admit however that peg board is banned from my home entirely.