• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Imp Article

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
If anyone is interested, the latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports has a decent article on the Imp. Of couse, it is slanted toward competition.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

impster

A bit off topic for the Sunbeam board, but I noticed that you have some desirable "scooters" in your garage. Having owned a '73 Commando many years ago, I am now experiencing the urge to own one more Brit bike. Do you have any knowledge of the "new" Royal Enfields? Given their low price, both new and used, I'm curious as to whether they are worthing of consideration. I'm no longer into serious riding (after all, I now live in Michigan where all the roads are straight and in lousy shape!), but am looking for a cheap Sunday crusier. Or are they not worth the cost, my money being better spent on a used Bonney or Commando? Any thoughts or if not, do you know of any Brit bike message boards?

Tony Fontaine
(builder and previous owner of the white Imp in Grassroots)

'61 Rapier convertible
'74 BMW 2002
'76 Jaguar XJ6C

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I was lookihng for a "classic-type" bike about 5 years ago. The real British bikes I looked at were all tired-looking or too dear.

The Indian-built Royal Enfield is a good deal, I guess....but it was more money than I wanted to commit (I knew I wouldn't use the bike that often). We have a Ural dealer nearby....again, a good deal, but more than I wanted to spend.

I ended up buying a "fake" British bike....a Honda 500 Ascot thumper. It was cheap, simple to operate and fix and fairly light. I ride it about 700 miles a year. It looks just like the picture below, but mine has clip-ons and slightly rear-set foot pegs.
rod-sida.gif

OP
S

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I wish I knew something about living with the India Enfields. They are inexpensive new, and seem to depreciate very rapidly. I am kind of interested myself. Even cheaper, and known to be reliable are B44 (441cc)and B50 (500cc)BSA's. I'm personally very fond of the B50SS Gold Star. It had the 19" front wheel and big brakes. The B44 Shooting Star is nice looking as well, and very inexpensive.

I bought one of those Ascot's new in about 1985 for 1000. It was great. My brother burned the engine up on it trying to keep up with my Commando between Lee Vining and Mojave though. It got a new head, cylinder, and piston on warranty. My only problem with riding it was that the hump in the seat kind of makes you sit real far forward. It handled great and had good brakes.

My Dad has a black one now, and loves it. That square instrument cluster and headlight really date it, don't they?