• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

driving

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Does anybody else drive their cars? Just came back from a wonderful drive in my modified 62 alpine.Car is running great as we approach the 131000 mile mark. That's since we put it on the road in 78.Fantastic weather for top down driving.Way up here in Winnipeg Canada we have only May through October so we must make up by putting on the miles when we can.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
As I have time. The Tiger has a few thousand of my own since I redid to and the Alpine has about 60,000 of my own since 74 when I got it. Terminal rust almost ended it's life but I just couldn't let it go. There's a lot of new/fresher sheet metal in the old girl. Now if only I could find time to get the motor problems cleaned up..

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'm not a Sunbeam owner (Spridget actually), but I'd like to echo you comment about *driving* these cars. Mine's noisy and bouncy and I'm always having to futz with *something*....every drive is sort of a Great Adventure (even if it's just down to the store to get the paper)....that's all part of the fun.

And the truth is, these cars are generally easy and simple to fix (and the problems are almost always minor). I've been doing about 2000 miles a year in my car (it's my max miles allowed, due to "historic" registration and insurance) always top-down.

Of course, I guess it takes some guts to ride top down in October in Manitoba....good for you!

OP
T

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Well it is good to hear there are drivers out there.Actually had to put up the top yesterday. It was a mad dash to the underpass. Tremendous downpour. Have driven 300 miles in medium off and on showers with the top down. The rake of the 62 windshield helps to keep you dry. Mind you we did have to exceeed the speed limit a good bit some times to keep a bit dry.
Lets get those cars out.

Bill Tubbs

As my 67 Alpine gets more and more complete, I find myself driving it quite a bit lately. The more I drive it, the more I find additional rattles to eliminate and I get used to the nuances of a little 4-banger.

I still need lots of rubber and other insulation but hopefully I'll get my hardtop complete by the time the California rains start and I'll be able to drive it year-around. Not sure how much I'll drive it with the ragtop only during the rainy season. Or, I may pretend I'm in the Great White North and keep it garaged during the winter just to keep from having to wash it so often :smile:

OP
T

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Thats great Bill. If you were here you wouldn't have to pretend about the great white north. You wouldn't have to worry about the temperature too often either.

Tiger

Jedi Warrior
Mine isn't nicknamed "The Garage Queen" for nothing. However, I did 60 miles Saturday to/from a show (2nd-in-class trophy). And further, my wife drove it to work today!
shocked.gif

OP
T

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
That's great Tiger.If your wife can drive it to work I would say it's not really a garage queen but a well looked after car.
We try to go for breakfast or supper a few times a month. One of our favorite brunch stops is 60 miles north of home.This is the biggest Icelandic community in Canada and do they have a brunch spread. Have to watch though as that can translate into a different kind of spread.Otherwise we try find different out of the way places withinn 20 to 30 miles. Some of the little towns have fantastic food especially when they have their festivals.
Enjoy every day.

jmason

Freshman Member
I drive my Tiger every chance I get, which is difficult these days with the front suspension currently on a UPS truck to Doug Jennings for repair. Being in northern IL, I also have limited driving time. Hoping for a long, warm and dry fall!

OP
T

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
as to cold weather driving I once drove the sunbeam in -50. it was the only car that would start and I got to work and back.We do use block heaters but my mercury wouldnt go. Never again

Joe Litefoot

Chuck;
My wife and I both put over 3000 miles a year on our MGB's. I have 10 other licensed British cars and try to put 200 to 500 miles on each one. One vehicle we have a lot of fun with is our 69 Commer Motorhome (Rootes Group). It is amazingly reliable and road worthy, I would even drive it to Manitoba if it wern't for the hills in between us (ha ha). I once drove it to a country music festival in Havelock about 70 miles away. About 20 miles from home the clutch slave cyl packed in. We drove it the rest of the way there and back by starting it in gear and shifting clutchless.
I'm always amazed how timid people are about driving their LBCs any distance do to reliability problems. They aren't that unreliable and they can usually be fixed easily or limped home More than you can say for modern iron.
Anyway, glad to here your enjoying your car, there sure aren't many Alpines left.
Joe

OP
T

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Joe. One person who would be so happy to hear about this would be Ian at [sunbeamalpine.org]He was just lamenting about seeing his old one sitting at a wrecker and how sad it was.
Wow the insurance must be a bundle for 10 cars. I thought I was bad with an alpine and 2 tigers, 81 caddy,77 dodge motorhome, and 2 trucks. One was a brand new 02 quad cab 4x4 dakota V8 this year. So only driving one much modified fun car 62 alpine.
By any chance are you the Joe with the attenna company?

OP
T

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Joe; One more thought. If Havelock is only 70 miles from home you aren't that far from Winnipeg. Just where is Picton.I'm asking so I don't have to dig out the road atlas.

Joe Litefoot

Chuck;
Yes I am the antenna guy. Picton Ont, is about 2 hrs east of T.O. and about 1 hr from Kingston.
Havelock Ont is about 1 hr and 15 min north west of Picton (in line with Peterboro).
The insurance on all these vehicles isn't to bad using the Silver Wheels plan and I keep their appraisals at the very bottom end of the scale.
Most of them have historic plated at $18 a year.
And like you we have our personal and work vehicles; 96 voyager, 98 Mazda B4000, 92 Isuzu, 90 Isuzu, and 75 Motorhome. My real passion is racing my 65 MGB in the vintage series. I like trying out new tracks and hope to head west some year.
I will try to contact Ian.
Joe

OP
T

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Joe;
I took a chance when I asked if you were the antenna guy.I somehow remembered you. You would send the odd copy of Boots and Bonnets to the Central Sunbeam club. I was the president so it seemed for life.Just got tired of doing it all so it folded. Lots of good memories.Does the Boots and Bonnets still exist?When you come west; it would be a pleasure to get together. As to insurance they [goverment] won't budge. We have antique plates which do not allow driving unless it is in a major parade or to get work done on the car.
My phone # is 204 661 8380.
Email addtress is [thegoodbeamer1@shaw.ca]
We just passed 131000 miles on the 62 yesterday when we went out for a drive and supper.Just managed to beat the rain as we were driving into the garage,it poured. I hate putting up the top.
Enjoy every day.
Chuck

Joe Litefoot

Chuck;
Yes I remember that now. I was the president of the Boot n' Bonnet club for about 5 years but I handed it over to another guy in 95 who is just awsome as prez. Wes Meyer keeps everyone entertained and has brought the membership to over 200. It takes a special kind of enthusiasm to keep moving forward, and when you loose that edge, if your lucky there is someone to take over.
If I do make it out west I will definately look you up and will add your name and address and phone number to my book
Joe Lightfoot
613 476 4111
e-mail Litefoot@lks.net