• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pin for lock cover on outside door handle

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
I need to attach the lock cover to my door handle, but don't know what kind of fastener to use. The guy at the parts store was stumped, but thought it probably uses some kind of skinny spring clip. I tried a cotter pin, but there's no access to the back side of the hole. Please let me know who sells these.

DougR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
A spiral pin (or roll pin) is most likely the method of attachment. As it springs open after installation, it serves as a "blind" fastener. A good auto parts store should have these.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
Actually, the lock covers are retained by sprial springs. At one end the wire points into the center and the other end it points out. These springs are handed and can't be replaced without removing the outer handle from the door. The most common reason for them to come off is if the pin on the cover breaks. Look at the end of the pin, it should have a slot with a small offset cut at the bottom in the top 1/8 inch or so of it.

OP
P

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
Yes, my part is as you describe. When I go to the parts store to buy a replacement pin, I get the famous blank look. I have a Series V parts car that I can salvage the complete door handle from (do you know if it inter-changes?). Otherwise, do you know of a supplier that might have such a pin? I've checked in three different Sunbeam parts catalogs and can't find it.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
Well, no one that I've ever seen reproduces them.
But, you can exchange door handles across the range. If you haven't already taken it apart there is a panhead screw under the weatherstrip at the back of the door that retains one end and a 5/16 nut on a stud inside the door to retain the other end. Once these are off the handle comes loose. To keep your original lock to match the key look at the back of the handle, the lock and push button are retained by a plate held in by two or three screws. Remove these and they drop right out. Put you originals in, I suggest you use the original push as well to keep from needing to play adjustment games, and screw the retaining plate back down. Install on the door.
BTY, make sure the door window is up before removing the window crank handle and inside panel, you can't reach the nut at the front of it's down.